Glare, Haze and Fog with lights

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had single vision Z9002 silicon lens done July 2017 and YAG done for PCO Dec 2017.

I am scheduled for EPI PRK Feb 7 to fix over corrected Rx in lens surgically replaced.  Now (+.5, +.75, with +2.5 for reader) Hate that.

Here is my question.

Dr recommends EPI PRK with new Allegretto Wavefront Ex500 machine.  Says he can dial in Rx correct to 0 on both eyes for distance.  He said recovery is about a week.  3-4 days of temp lens while cornea heals.  So yes recovery stinks.  Anyway.

I did have YAG done in Dec and did help with stars and some of the glare or haze around lights.

However, now very strange that lights far way have very little halo.  Lights 40-100 feet have a large glare, especially those pinkish orange street lights; about 10-20 foot radius fog around the light!  Also when I am behind a car stopped at night I do notice VERY SMALL concentric rings (makes a halo) around most brake lights.  (Lens Construction?)  Also Florescent lights cause a flicker/glare.   SOOO....

MY opinion is that the silcon Z9002 lens that are wrong Rx are causing the refraction and glare in them some how.  Could that be possible?  I had one comment by Phys Asst, that wrong Rx can cause the glare.  

So Feb 7 I am scheduled for the EPI PRK and hope that helps with less glow around lights...thoughts? 

Since July 2017, this has been a long endurance for better vision.  

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

What makes you think PRK will fix glare? PRK can cause haze and various other problems like corneal erosion. It's a risky procedure even if the risks are downplayed by doctors. I know numerous people that had PRK to fix problems and it didn't do a thing and in some cases caused more problems.

• Posted

I re-read what you wrote. Since you think the glare will go away after your RX is fixed by the PRK, why not just wait and see what happens after the PRK is done? What other choices were you give as to what might fix the glare instead of PRK?

Also, why not try prescription eyeglasses for distance while driving to see if that helps? That should show whether or not the PRK will work for the glare.

• Posted

Nina..thank you for input.  I have about same glare with or without my Rx progressive glasses.  They are corrected for distance and reading.  (Temporary glasses until EPI PRK Feb 7.)  So even w corrected sharp vision I still have the halo at night around lights.  Best I can describe is like lights are in a fog and glowing.  Most single point lights do this.  

In good fun, Dr said the cataract replacement is a bio-mechanical system is not the Hubble telescope!  But to answer your question he had no other explanation or solution to glare.  I was hoping PCO removal by YAG would have done more to improve glare/halos. 

I am concluding it is the crappy Silicone Z9002 lens that another Dr put in my eyes.  Pisses me off that this wasn't explained.  New Dr is pro and would have put in Acrylic.

Dr swears with new EX500 EPI PRK.. he can dial in my distance Rx to 0, without any more aberrations to vision.  Cost is $3500 for both eyes.  All OOP.   BUT what are others experience with  this????

Do the yellow eyeglass lenses help glare for real?

"see ya"

Steve

• Posted

Also want to add that I have a similar silicone lens like yours and don't have the problems you have. Lots of people complain about monofocal acrylic IOLs, so that's not always the solution either.

• Posted

If you think the problem is the IOL, why are you not having piggyback lenses inserted instead of PRK?
    • Posted

Nina, What kind of silicone IOL do you have?  I was thinking about doing an exchange for a silicone IOL because I was told it has a lower refraction and it’s good for dysphotopsia.  I have both positive and Negative.  I’m also co corned that YAG makes the glare and flickering worse.
  • Posted

I once tried yellow glasses for night driving, but I found them to be too dark to use at night for me personally (that was when my cataracts weren't that bad - I tried the glasses just to see if they helped my night vision in general, not for glare).

• Posted

Also I don't know anything about the PRK, but I do know people who have permanent problems from PRK. I personally wouldn't do it because of the risks, but that's up to you. Send me a private message if you want more info on it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.