Glasses after cataract surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello.  Wondering if anyone can help.

Had cataract surgery seven weeks ago in my right eye which is my dominate eye my left eye is a lazy eye.  I did ask for a mono distance lens but not sure whats happened because I can read small print but need glasses for driving.  I do not know what lens was put in.  Had eyes tested last week for glasses and went yesterday to pick them up.  I couldn't wait to be able to drive again.

When I put them on I started to feel light headed straight way, the distance was fine.  Was told that I would have to get use to them, so I walked out of the shop with them on.  Walked around feeling really light headed.  Took them off for a while and it took several minutes before I felt OK.  Tried again and still felt light headed.  Husband drove me home and yes my distance vision is loads better with the glasses on, could read all the road signs, but felt so lighheaded.

When I got home and looked at my dining room table I realised that it sloped down on the left hand side.  Phoned the opticians and was told by the girl who answered the phone to take them back.  I had enquired about a distance contact lens and had a chat this morning with the gentleman that does this.  Ive told him about my problem and he's told me that it may take me two weeks before I get use to them, that this is a common problem.  My vision has changed alot and I am now short sighted in my right eye and long sighted in my left eye and my brain is trying to work out what its seeing, but my thoughts are:

If this is right then surely I would of felt lighthead straight after the surgery?

If it is right what he said I can't understand why surfaces are sloping to the left, if I shut my left eye when I've got the glasses on everything is straight. 

I think that the glasses aren't balanced  properly and I am wasting my time trying to get use to them.  When I had varifocal glasses in the past I had no problems at al, I know a lot of people have to get use to wearing them.  Also in the past I manged fine with one multifocal contact lens in my right eye without having to have anything in the left lazy eye..  My husbands been wearing glasses a long time and in is opinion if they don't feel right straight away then they will never be right.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Little pea

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

I can understand your excitement about getting glasses so you have distant vision again. When I wore glasses, I also had a similar experience as you. Especially when I was driving, I could not judge distance and had some dizziness . I went a few days and had to return them to my eye doctor. We did some testing and realized that I had a problem with the plastic that the optical lenses were made out of. I also mentioned that all horizontal lines in the distance had a cyan color and a little blur. Once they changed the type of plastic in my lenses it corrected the problem.
  • Posted

I'm no optometrist, but it sounds like you have a bad lens to me.  I've worn glasses or contacts all my life.  On occassion I have taken out old perscriptions to take when I need a backup pair of glasses in case my current glasses break, and I'm nowhere close to a place to get them fixed.  When I put on the old glasses that have a different perscription, I may feel light headedness.  I've never had a left side different than the right.  So I'd say you have both the wrong perscritpion for your eyes, and poorly made glasses.  Return them and get somebody else who can do it right.

• Posted

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your problems.

This brings to mind a couple of things.

A few years ago I went through a phase of wearing contact lenses, I noticed that when I removed them at night and went back to glasses I always felt light headed and sick for a period of time, however this would  last less than an hour.

When I got my right eye cataract removed about 5 weeks ago I tried removing one lens from my glasses so I could see out of both eyes (that was the theory anyway), however I got horrendous double vision and skewed images. This was so bad I had to ditch the glasses and wear a contact in my left eye. In my case the power difference was too big between the eyes for my brain to cope. You didn't say what the powers were in your eyes but perhaps that is the reason and you will have to wear a contact lens in the non-operated eye.

Another reason that others have noted is maybe the glasses have a bad lens.

• Posted

Many thanks  for your replies.  I'm doing an update on whats happened over the last few days.

Last Thursday evening I sat outside having a drink of pop.  I had my glasses on trying to get use to them and I looked down to put the glass on the table.  The table was really sloping to the left and had gone from being a small round table to an oval table.  There is no wonder I am feeling lightheaded when my eyes are telling my brain the the table is sloping yet the glass is not sliding off the table, yes the slope was that bad!  Made my mind up that even if I wear my glasses for a weeks I will never beable to see properly.  

I took them back on Friday, saw the same person who I saw before.  He got my notes up on the computer and said he knew what the problem was.  In the past I have always had a balance lens in my left eye so he woud change it and I would be OK.  My first thoughts were.....well if I've always had a balance lens in that side why haven't you put one in this time?  

I left them with both pairs of glasses (I had sun glasses as well), picked them up yesterday and they are fine I can now see well enough to drive.  I haven't driven since early March when I was first told that my cataract needed surgery because my distance vision didn't meet the legal requirements.  

Thanks again for your replies.

Little Pea

• Posted

So glad you're able to see and able to get on with life and activities you enjoyed before cataracts.

I only drive locally as I am sure I wouldn't pass the driving test either with one eye at 20/70 and other 20/60. But need to get to work each day. I both look forward to being able to see better and dread making lens selection and surgery hoping I will be able to adapt to a new reality.

Little pea I think I recall youn went with monofocal lenses. Are you having to wear glasses of different prescriptions for near and intermediate?

Thanks.

• Posted

Hello Sue.An

Yes, I did have a mono lens in.  I asked for a distance one thinking I woud be OK  to drive and just have to wear glasses for reading.  Its very strange because I can now  read small print but need glasses for driving, have been told that it is only a small prescription so obviously my distance vision is better.  Have been told by my optitian that I have mid range vision.  Adding that no cataract surgery is 100% guaranteed, you get what you get.

Little pea

• Posted

Did they know you wanted distance? I am wondering if this is harder to predict than they tell you.

How are you managing? Were you able to get prescription glasses soon after surgery? Sounds like you have more near and intermediate- do you need readers at all?

Thanks for sharing.

• Posted

When I first saw the consultant I did ask for a multi focal lens (I live in the UK and I was going to go private to have the surgery), was told due to me having other health issues which may attack my eyes he wanted to keep it simple and just put in a mono lens.  At first I did ask for a reading lens and he said he would put me a 2.5 lens in.  I then changed my mind and when I went for the appointment , the one where you have all the scans for the lens I told him I had changed my mind and wanted a distance lens in.  

On the morning of the surgery the consulatant came into my room and at first he said he was putting a reading lens 2.5 in.  I quickly corrected him and said no, its a distance lens.  He then said oh yes, you changed your mind.  Just before I went into surgery I checked again that it would be distance and he assured me it was.

The following morning after surgery my distance vision was blurred, but to my amazement I could read all infomation that I was given at the hospital.  When I went for my post op check up he reassured me that I had had a distance lens and added that some very lucky patients do get reading vision, but this may go away with a week or two.  Well in my case it didn't.

I waited for six week after my op to go and get my eyes tested for glasses.  At this stage I realised that I needed glasses for driving.  the optician did show me how he could improve my reading with a small prescription, but to be honest I am very happy with my reading, I can read the news paper, cooking instructions etc etc.  I didn't want to go to the expense of having to buy varifocal lens glasses anyway.  I manage perfectly well without having to have reading glasses which for me is wonderful!

I have been driving since early 1982 and was told beginning of March this year not to drive because of the cataract, having to rely on my husband to take me everywhere has been awful, so you can imagine how excited I was when I went to get my glasses and then were not right.  I was so angry and upset, but I have to say that the opticians did sort them out very quickly.

The consultant did say that they can never be 100% acurate when doing surgery, there is some sort of % that they work to.  

Are you waiting to have surgery done?  If you are I can tell you that it was a breeze.  For some strange reason on the day of the surgery I wasn't nervous at all.  I had lots of eye drops in and some sort of injection just under my eye (from what Ive read not all surgeons do this).  Ive just had some fillings in my teeth done and believe me I'd rather have cataract surgery done than lying there having teeth filled!!!!

Little pea

• Posted

Thanks little pea - i am scheduled for cataract surgery in 3 weeks time. I have been told I have healthy eyes - never had lasik done so am a candidate for the Symfony lens. But Dr did warn me that this is permanent- he doesn't do extractions (I live in a small town). I keep wondering what I'd do if power isn't right or if the night time visual disturbances are too much to cope with much less be able to drive at night. I am am unsettled and not at peace. I think this decision is making me more nervous than the surgery.

Perhaps I may have to say goodbye to my near sight and go with a monofocal. Did you get an aspheric monofocal lens? I teD somewhere they have the least visual disturbances but I think they aren't covered either and there would be a fee for them.

• Posted

I don't know what sort of lens was put in.  All I know that if I had gone and had it done via our NHS they only use two sorts of lens, one for near and one for far.  If you go private, which I did, there is more options for the consultant to choose from.  

Sorry I can't really give you any advice but if you start your own discussion there is an awful lot of people on here that know alot about varios lens.  Most of what they talk about does go over my head some what though.

I know you can have difficulty driving at night with glare from car headlights, but here in the UK at the moment it doesn't get dark until around 9.30 and I haven't been in a car in the dark yet.  I did have anti glare coating put on my glasses though just incase.

All I can say is like I said before that there is nothing to worry about regarding the actual surgery.  It seemed to be over very quickly, I was treated to an amazing white light show whilst it was being done.  I did find the drops a pain afterwards.  I had to put in two differing sort of drops.  One sort was three times a day for four weeks, the other was six drops for the first two weeks, then four drops a day for the following two weeks, then two drops a day for two more weeks.  I had alarms set on  my mobile/cell phone to remind me, proud to say I didn't miss one drop.  I had no pain at all during and after surgery.

Write a list down and next time you see your surgeon ask him all your questions.  No question is a stupid question.  I asked what I thought was a silly question about taking eye make up off after the op.  I use wipes and I normally rub my eye alot to take off the mascara.  He said I would be ok once I started wearing make up again to do this.  He then went  on to say that I couldn't wear any make up for two weeks after the op(I knew that), then went on to tell me not to wear any eye liner or mascara for a week before the op,  saying that if there was the slightest bit of grease or mascara on my eyelashes on the day of surgery he would cancel the op. I didn't know that and  believe me I would of been putting it on the day before which could of ended with the op being cancelled....so no question is a stupid question.

Little pea

• Posted

Just want to add......not being able to wear make up for me was the worse part of having it done.  biggrinbiggrin
    • Posted

Thanks for the tip about makeup leading up to surgery. I was not told that other than not wear any day of surgery. I have no more visits with durgeon. Had one last week but he didn't want to discuss my what if questions. Deal with it when and if anything happens is his appproach. If I make an appointment it will delay the surgery. He is so busy it takes a month to get to see him.

Yes will post another discussion to see if I can get feedback on lenses.

Best of luck to you with your new eyes. Glad you had no complications. I think I will set reminders on my phone when time comes for drops. I know that is important to do to avoid complications.

• Posted

Too funny! That's my main reason for wanting Symfony lenses - to see near and far. Didn't want to have to magnify my face for eye liner.

• Posted

Sue and other readers,

When I got my Symfony surgery consultation, I was told that the morning of surgery... which was scheduled for 7:00 am on a Monday this past February, that I was to shower before coming in, to wear no jewelry, and as to clothing... wear loose and comfortable clothing, short sleeves as they would insert an IV in one arm, and do not wear makeup that day. Hair to be pulled back. When I arrived, it took the nurses about an hour to prep me and put the several eyedrops into the eye that was being operated on... testing every few minutes to make sure there was no feeling in that eye, and that it was fully dilated. Then they inserted my IV needle. My surgeon came in and drew on my surgery eye with a felt tip marker of some sort... placing dots on each side where he was to cut... so he could see exact entry to remove the cataract. The Surgery to remove the cataract took less than 10 minutes, I was totally awake through the removal, it looked like the 4th of July, I saw a lot of what looked like fireworks, sparks, all sorts of bright colors. Once the cataract was broken up and removed...

I had absolutely no vision in that eye between cataract removal and the IOL insertion! I joked with my surgeon and told him I was glad he wasn't finished right then... he laughed and said no problem, and with my good eye, I could see him smile... I felt confident. We were now ready to head into the room to insert the lens.

The anesthesioligist administered the IV... just before my doctor inserted the IOL. I was out within seconds. The insertion of the IOL also took less than 10 minutes. Doctor was kind and gave me photos of my actual surgery at my request. We left after a brief recovery... about a half hour, went out to lunch, then came home, followed directions to use the drops that were prescribed. I only had to wear the eye patch until I got home. My eye/s looked totally normal within an hour of surgery, no redness or soreness. I was a little sensitive to bright light for a day or so and that was it. I think I covered most of my procedure here. I hope this helps anyone in line for the Symfony lens implants.

• Posted

Thanks Sharon - this helps me a lot as to what to expect. I do know I will be given Ativan (no IV needle). Hope that pill keeps me calm. Think I would prefer IV
    • Posted

Glad to be of some help. All doctors have their own way of doing things. The drops that I had to use was once in the morning and then again before bed. I think I for got the bedtime one once, but no reason to panic, all was okay. Also, if anyone has dry eye... such can happen at anytime, especially after surgery or during allergy season... my surgeon says that Alaway by Bausch & Lomb is what her recommends. He says it's good to use for dry eye as well as allergies.

Makeup? I went back to wearing my usual eye makeup as before surgery. However I have permanent eyeliner upper and lower... but I still use eye shadow. Doctor wasn't against it at any time except for the day of surgery. I have excellent close vision... at 8" to far distance... 20/20 or better in both eyes.

Glare? Sometimes, really, only sometimes if the light comes at me at a certain angle, but not often.

Starbursts? Mostly at night... there is a little halo around lights, however less and less now that I am several weeks out from my last surgery. I am used to the slight glow around the lights, as it reminds me of the lights at Christmas time. It doesn't bother me at all. I do tend to keep my focus on the right side of the pavement when cars come at me with those newer bright LCD lights! They bothered me before my Symfony surgery... they are annoying to look into, so I don't.

Hope this helps 😉

• Posted

Yes your comments comfort me going into this. So glad someone has a good outcome with Symfony lenses. I am 53 and active - run hike snorkel travel and want good vision. I am not against glasses wear them now for distance and have since 12 years old. But my impression of monofocals is I could end up with several pairs for various distances - maybe I am wrong.

My opthamologist I have heard good things about from a few of his patients that I know / just not forthcoming with answers to my questions. In his words he says the equipment they have for determining what power I need are better and he doesn't like to go down road of what ifs. Deal with that if need be later. Of course I am the one who has to live with what if.

Thanks for sharing your story

• Posted

Out of curiosity did you post on these forums prior to you surgery for information? Just wondering why more people don't post positive results. Since I am here looking for info (nice added benefit has been support from others going through this) I will post my results. Hopefully I will be as pleased as you.

• Posted

I am not sure that I would go with the surgeon you are speaking of. Personally, from what you have related about your conversations with this doctor... it rubs me wrong. Your eyes are very important, and you need a very caring doctor, I would probably find another that does the Symfony surgeries. Read their reviews, this is a very big step and I would like to see you have a doctor that is very willing to answer all of your questions... and be glad to take the time however long it takes. My doctor is a very busy surgeon, his office is always full of pre and post surgery patients ... but you know what... I was given his personal cell phone number... now that is how he cares for me and his other patients, in case I or any other of his patients needed to contact him away from his office 😉

• Posted

I have had similar thoughts but unfortunately where I live I don't have a lot of options. If I seek this surgery in another province our Medicare will not cover the cataract surgery and I don't have the funds to cover that.

• Posted

Guess I should also say that some docs are better at the 'caring' level than others. Doesn't always mean they are more competent. I have run into a number of people who have had their surgery done by him and they are pleased with results.I wish I could delay this a year to seek out alternatives but I worry how far my eyes could deteriorate- already having trouble with my job and will drive locally only (probably shouldn't be doing that). I got diagnosed in Jan and it took 5 months to get first appointment with specialist shere I live and 2 months to get surgery date which is excellent here where I live as it can take 4 or 5 months. My optometrist had 2 people she could refer to me here. Both in her opinion are equal. One I have is very laid back the other is abrupt. But in her opinion both can do job well.

It would be better if I could find a caring one but don't think that will happen here. They are so busy (all our doctors here are). Wait times some of the worst in Canada for surgeries. Guess I am accepting what is. If I had unlimited funds could go to USA or Europe but I just don't have that luxury. I am meeting someone this week to chat - friend is a friend through my church. Having coffee. My husband's friend that area aged for us to chat he thinks did t even know about selection of lens. She does similar work to me and is in her 50's too. I will be curious to see if she has monofocal or multifocal lenses and if she was given options. Apparently she is happy with outcome.

Perhaps (as my husband says) some people worrry and research and others go with the flow more and could it be both end up with same result. I ha e been told it is t perfect and maybe expecting to have eyes like a person in their 20's isn't realistic and most of us can't recall that kind of vision anyways. I read an interesting article about lasik and why they do both eyes same time. Written by an MD. Saying they don't want patients comparing eyes - there would be flaws. They go into it with high expectations whereas us cataract patients will regain something (usually - lol)

Trying to keep my sense of humour also having a faith helps and supportive people around. It's all helpful.

Thanks Sharon - really hoping this works out .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.