Glasses suddenly stopped working!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have short-sightedness but not to any debilitating extent. My glasses help make everything look sharper but I can function quite comfortably without them. Still, I always wear my glasses to avoid eye strain and headaches.

Earlier today I became totally, uncharacteristically engrossed in a book and ended up reading the Kindle for about four hours without any breaks. I never read so intensively for such long periods and after I had finished I realised that everything now seemed blurry. When I took my glasses off my eyesight markedly improved. Now, putting on my glasses renders text in the middle and far distances almost unreadable.

Have I damaged my eyesight? This morning my glasses helped me to see, this evening they hinder me. What possibly could have happened? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ben,

I do not think that this one intensive session of reading has actually damaged your eyesight - just made it different for a while so i suggest cutting down the length of time you read in future to say an hour once your eysight returns to normal which I guess it will. If it doesnt after a few days then a trip to see your optician may be beneficial as after all they are the experts.

I am the opposite to you - long sighted and need reading glasses but over the years I have found that glasses actually make your eyes become lazy or less capable of seeing up close without them.

Regards - Kate in the UK

• Posted

I feel that giving rest to the eyes and use of lubricants like Systane etc may help you. Still you need to see the Doc who of course would be the best judge. Wishing you the best
    • Posted

I have just looked at mrsmops reply on this post above linking a dry eyes leaflet.

It made total sense - after reading it I saw much info that may be beneficial but also realised from reading that any drops etc were meant to be administered poss an hour every day at first and then back to 3-4 times per day. No one told me this so I had just used them 1 drop in each eye once per day which did nothing!

After reading this a short while ago I immediately put 2 drops in each eye and within 10 minutes it took away some of the agravation, not all but helped stop the streaming nose and eye soreness and also some tears but not completely. I shall continue for now but more regularly before seeing my Doctor or Nurse to see if the extra frequency aids me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.