Glaucoma

Posted , 5 users are following.

ive had glaucoma for a few years. I'm 53. I went along for my eye appointment  & my pressures were low tgey were 10. However they found some damage in my right eye. I have yo now put eye drops in 3 times a day. I used to put them in just once a day at night. Doctor did say I may have yo have laser surgery. 

Im on bimatoprost/ timolol  and brinzolamide. Has anyone else had These type of problems with glaucoma, like surgery or these drops? Anyone suffered side effects from the drops? 

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Louise

Never had a problem with eye drops. Earlier this year I had laser surgery for each eye, it was to prevent glaucoma. No problems following the procedure. Last year I had cataract surgery for one eye the other is ok. Vision is now much improved, I no longer need glasses to drive. Laser surgery is very quick, nothing to be concerned about. Have you had a consultation with an eye surgeon or just a GP ?

Alpine

• Posted

Hi Louise, I was also wondering whether you had seen an Ophthalmologist because if your pressures are 10, you are still apparently using drops to lower the pressure, 3 different lots according to what you say.

I think you should query your dosage.

I have secondary glaucoma, ie it is caused by the use of steroid eye drops, which are prescribed for me by an Ophthalmologist  [in the hospital eye clinic] and monitored regularly.  I was using drops to reduce the pressures but when they went too low, the Consultant stopped them.  I had to use preservative free drops and as I understood it, the only one available, is called Cosopt.

I am allergic to the preservative in eye drops.

I have also had laser treatment, following my cataract op and you don't feel anything.  

If you aren't already seeing an Ophthalmologist at your local hospital, you should ask to see one urgently.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi louise, I can't completely relate to your situation, I was just recently diagnosed with glaucoma in both eyes. But the drops I am on are called Latanoprost. I only use ond drop in each eye at night before bed and my pressures went from the mid 20's to 16 in each eye. I have had no real side efffects from them except dryness which I use systane plus each morning after waking. I have many more tests coming up in the near future for my eyes but for now the drops are helping to keep my pressures good. You might mention these drops I use to your eye doctor.
  • Posted

Hi louise87148,  I'm now 54 and have had glaucoma for a few years. I had damage to sight in right eye already when they found out i had glaucoma. Drops didn't seem to bring the pressures down quick enough so to save what sight I had left in right eye, they decided to do an operation called a "trabeculetomy" .  Over the last few years I have gone from 3 types of different drops to now 1. Which is dorzolamide. The pressures seem to be under 20 now in both eyes and I just have to have them checked twice a year, unless a problem occurs. I have had reactions to some other drops in the past, I'm sorry the names of those now I cannot remember. Apart from dim lighting and darkness in general and driving at night, I don't have too much of a problem.  But in daylight and full lighting I'm fine. Hope that helps you a little. 
  • Posted

Ps. Forgot to mention that I do get dry eye a lot but I've been told that's very common. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.