Glaucoma

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just been diagnosed with the coma. I am so distressed and worried started on XALA just been diagnosed with a coma. I am so stressed and worried started on Xalatan Once per day I’m going back to the doctor on July 23 to see if the dogs have work. My pressure was 28 in the left eye and 22 in the right eye. I’m going back to the doctor on July 23 to see if the drops have worked.  My pressure was 28 in the left eye and 22 in the right eye.  So worried that if the drops have not worked, she will put me on stronger drops which will cause all kinds of side effects.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sorry for all the spelling mistakes in my message.  I dictated it and was shocked when I read it...
  • Posted

Try not to stress ( I know easier said than done) but keep in mind Glaucoma can typically be easily managed with eye drops. Your doctor will want to see you more often and to do visual field test at least yearly and check your pressures. There are also many drops out there, if you do have bad side effects with a particular drop have your doc switch you to a different one. typically the most common side effect I see is irritation. You can use lubricating drops you will want to wait at least 5 minutes after to put them in but they can help if you do have irritation. Just make sure to use your drops consistently. Good luck with everything!
  • Posted

Dont worry Sue...high pressure can be managed with eye drops...It would be wise to use ones without bak in them..as its the preservative in the drops that causes the most problems...when I put mine in.I hold the sides of my eyes,just at the side of my nose, for about 3 mins...put a little pressure there...it keeps the drops from going down the back of your throat, and keeps side effects to a minimum ..I have been using them for a year now..with no problems...xx
  • Posted

Hello sue86053   As others have said try not to worry.  I was just like you and after having higher pressures as much as 29 but with no damage for many years.  Many years later it was decided that as they left eye was starting to show early signs of damage so  I  should start on Xalatan which I think is often their first choice especially as it is only taken at night.  Unfortunately it affected my asthma so after 2 cataract surgery and laser treatment (painless procedure in out patients) I was started on Azopt I like you was worried because of the side effects  as I suffer from blepharitis which is an inflammation of the eye lids and is quite common.  I have no problems with  azopt and like others also suggested after putting the drop in my eye I put a finger over the corner for 2/3 mins to prevent prevent the drops going down the back of the throat.  I also but this is just for my blepharitis take a small piece of cotton wool or cotton buds and very carefully just quickly clean around the eye lashes just in case any is left on the lids although unlikely,   My pressures now are around 19 to 21.  They are happy with this and I also have the option to try xalatan with no preservative in the future.  It is the preservative I believe which sometimes causes sore eyes etc,  I have been using Azopt for 3/4 years with no problems and I have very sensitive eyes.  Remember not everyone experiences side effects and there are many eye drops they can try and possibly new ones with come on the market.  Try not to worry just use your drops regularly and keep all appointments and you will be fine.  You don't mention your age.  I was only in my early 50's when the high pressures started and worried myself sick around them getting worse.  I am now 70 and have only been on drops for around 3/4 years.  Do let us know here on the forum how you get on.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply! It is very insightful for me...

Btw, I am 63.  

• Posted

Forgot to mention one of the consultants way back told me to use a  lubricating drop 30 mins before your xalatan.  I used to do this but find I don't need them so much now.  I used a preservative free one on nhs prescription.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.