Glaucoma

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi every one, I was diagnosed with glaucoma in 2014. I made the mistake of not following through with my 3 months routine check ups for 18 months. Fast forward to today, my peripheral vision is bad and nerve damage is at 0.1% though my pressure is 14. My doctor is talking about blindess in my eye. I'm terrified. I know that damage is irreversiable but I've seen that there is a clinic in Germany that offers restoration. I live in Tanzania, East Africa. Please give me your thoughts

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

If your doctor is an opthalmologist listen to him and also get a second opinion. You don't want to get involved with someone in another country that you know little about and would have no recourse.

• Posted

Hi Lester, when I was first diagnosed I got 4 second opinions and they all literally said the same. I am trying to find out whether there is any way of saving the little nerves that I have left.

• Posted

Hello. Well the place in Germany is called Savir and it is a non evasive holistic approach and each patient is different. You would have to reach out to them for information. I'm not understanding, did you not take your drops during those 18 months?

• Posted

Thank you Palooz. I will look it up. For the past 18 months, I continued with my eye drops (Zolichek, latanoprost and eye vitamins), the past three months I wasnt vigilant though. I didn't go for my routine check ups.

• Posted

Are you talking about the Fedorov centre? You can do an assessment on line,but do be warned that often these assessments will say you are fine for the treatment, just to get you to the clinic.. Also,these treatments are not without considerable cost. You would need to factor in your costs of staying in the country as well,or constant flights as the treatment usually comprises several sessions. You would also need a companion to be with you...so factor in that cost as well. Do think very carefully before spending all your money on something there is no guarantee will work for you.

If you have a competent ophthalmologist you would be better to follow his advice carefully, or get another opinion.

• Posted

Hi Marina,

That is one of my major concerns. Being told that I am an ideal candidate, spend time and money and build hope on something that will never work. As much as I do not want to give up on myself, I also want to be realistic on what can and cannot be done. Finding that balance is improving to be difficult.

My ophthalmologist is competent but I wouldn't say he is the best in the world, lol. I am not looking at curing or restoring my sight because I do not believe that technology is out but something to save/prolong the existing nerves.

M

• Posted

Also I know of a clinical trial that NYU is doing that is basically the same treatment that they are offering in Germany. It's free, you might want to look into that. I will message you the contact information

• Posted

Also I know of a clinical trial that NYU is doing that is basically the same treatment that they are offering in Germany. It's free, you might want to look into that. I will message you the contact information

• Posted

Hi. Can you provide more info on this clinical trial at NYU?

• Posted

I messaged you the information. They are using the same equipment as the one in Germany to try and replicate the same results but just using glaucoma patients.

• Posted

• Posted

A clinical trial is just that. It is not yet approved for the general public. Most clinical trials do not make it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.