Glaucoma and affects of drugs for other conditions on eye pressure

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello I may have asked this before. Has anyone with the common type of glaucoma been told by their consultant which drugs should not be taken unless really necessary as they can increase eye pressure. I have tried phoning consultant secretary but have been told he will only answer queries in clinic time. Since the eye clinics at hospitals in this area have been running months behind I cannot ask until I get an appointment. I was due in December 2019 but last time the delay was 4 months behind so don't expect to be seen until March or April. I tried phoning to ask but they said they couldn't say when I might get one. The reason I ask this is that I have various conditions which might need steroids (which I know is the worst) and other drugs all of which seem to carry a warning saying might raise eye pressures in glaucoma patients. I know that some refer to the less common type of glaucoma (closed angle is it) rather than common open angle type . I am 72 have had glaucoma for a few years left eye only after many many years of being under eye hospital with ocular hypertension I think they call it anyway higher than normal pressure but no damage at the time. I know Steroids can be a problem although I don't know if this just applies to eye drops oral tablets or what I might nee in the future steroid injections into joints. I am now at different eye clinic having moved 200 miles 3 years ago. When I had cataracts removed a few years ago I was told after having to use routine steroid drops after surgery I was a steroid responder and had to have glaucoma drops during the course of steroid eye drops. I have refused anxiety tablets as I understand that these may cause problems and tablets for fibromyalgia. I already take steroid inhalers for asthma and when I took a steroid nasal spray for rhinitis which worked well I had to come off them as they increased the eye pressures. Your eyes are too important to take chances with. So if anyone has actually been told by an Opthalmologist what they should not use I would be grateful. Obviously you can find information on line. As you can imagine with delay with eye clinic appointments I am loathe to take anything and then find I have damaged my eyes. Hope this all makes sense.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.