Glaucoma and alllergies

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I wonder if there is anyone with glaucoma who also suffers from hayfever or perrenial rhinitis.  I was diagnosed with perrenial rhinitis a couple of years a go and I coped ok with it.  Last year it got bad and my gp gave me a steroid nasal spray and anithistamine tablets. These worked well and continued through summer taking them by then having moved house 200 miles away from Greater London to Greater Manchester.  When I went for my glaucoma check the opthalmologist found my eye pressures to have gone up from 18 in the left eye(this one is treated with glaucoma eye drops) and 20 right eye to 26 in both.  He said he would see me in 6 weeks and if they had not reduced he would probably have to add more drops.  When I got home I did some on line research and found that this could be caused by the rhinitis medication.  I then remembered that went I cataract surgery my eye pressures went right up whilst taking steroids after the surgery which is the normal treatment.  I was told I was a steroid responder something which I had quite forgotten about.  With the knowledge of my new gp I discontinued the steriod nasal spray and anithistamines and when I returned to the eye clinic my eye pressures had returned to base level.  The opthalmolgist agreed that may have been the cause.  So I made a decision not to restart the them ( I should add I also have mild asthma so have to take steroid inhalers for that) but did not want to add to the problem.  My rhinitis is bad at the moment blocked nose sneezing and sore eye (I already have blepharitis so could be that).  So having rambled on a bit is there anyone out there with rhinitis and glaucoma and can you give me any tips on treating the symptoms without resorting to steroids or antihistamines.  I do you a salt water nasal spray wear sunglasses outside but any other tips would be appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am in a similar circumstance to you - I have Glaucoma but have had emergency laser eye surgery for that and also suffer tree pollen, grass, dust allergies and pollen related asthma. I was told categorically at the eye clinic after surgery never to take a nasal steroid spray and so only have antihistamines. Yet my eye pressure is climbing. I do have to use Salbutamol inhaler for the asthma. I woke this morning with very sore swollen right eyelid and not sure whether it is blepharitis or an infection but I use warm water with a small amount of Johnsons Baby Shampoo to bathe it and usually it goes within 3/4 days. I don't know whether you have ever tried it but it does actually work. I have transition lens glasses which help in strong sunshine. The Rhinitis is very sore I know and I have yet to find anything that helps with that. Hopefully someone on this forum will have more knowledge and post some suggestions for us both.

• Posted

Hello  thank you so much for your reply.  I too had laser treatment but not as an emergency just to if they could bring the pressure down in the left eye.  This eye has early changes the right eye is ok and just kept an eye on.  They tried the laser in the hope of delaying glaucoma eye drops because they knew I was concerned about the blepharitis and the drops making it worse.  I would add I had already tried xalatan but it made me so tight chested they took me off it.  Unfortunately the laser did not work or at least not sufficiently and I now take Azopt 1 drop twice a day left eye only.  Touch wood so far no real side effects from it but I always put my finger over the corner of the eye for 2mins and take a makeup type pad dampened  and just clean the eye lashes afterwards.  Whether this helps or not I don't know but so far so good.  This was recommended to me can't remember who by.  It would seem that my asthma inhalers don't affect the pressures but as I had the type of cataracts that sometimes result from steroids they obviously can cause problems.    I read an article on line and antihistamines were mentioned as well as steroids for rising pressures. Maybe that it why your pressures are still rising but I know steroids are the worse.  As I mentioned I was told at Moorfields Eye hospital that I am a steroid responder.  With regard to cleaning regime for the blepharitis I do hot compresses every day followed by massage and for cleaning I use cool boiled water with bicarbonate of soda.  I find this better that the baby shampoo which I used before.  I know that a couple of times I had thought I put the bicarb in the water and I hadn't and the plain water did sting.  You could try it and see what you think.,  I use sunglasses when out because I have quite senstive eyes in the sun but I only wear reading glasses not distance.    Like you say someone might have some tips for us.  I suppose the asthma inhalers are less likely to affect the eye pressure but nasal sprays and especially steroid eye drops are.  Hang on in there.  Hope your eye is better soon.  I think maybe after doing the eye cleaning thing everyday for years over the last month I got a bit lax so maybe that's why.  I also found the steroid nasal sprays caused nose bleeds.  

• Posted

Just read on line in answer to a question about antihistamines and glaucoma that they should not affect open angle glaucoma the common type but should not be used or used with caution in other types.  Not sure what type you have hope this helps.  May be I might try antihistamines again if things get bad although a bit apprehensive.  I have the common type of glaucoma.
    • Posted

I had Sudden Onset Acute Angled Closure Glaucoma which is very rare. Within 36 hours I had gone blind in my right eye. The pressure build-up was triggered by taking Amitriptyline given for neuropathic pain. I can never take that drug again. I don't know what I would do without anti-hists - I am allergic to Birch Tree pollen and grass and my eyes swell shut, plus the streaming eyes and nose. I am fortunate the laser surgery gave me back the sight I lost although I have some peripheral vision loss. If my pressure continues to climb I have to have scalpel surgery as it would mean the laser did not fully work. I will try the bi-carb method, thanks for telling me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.