GLAUCOMA AND BLEPHARITIS

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi have posted here before with this question and I am also posting on the Blepharitis forum.  I have had higher pressure for many years with no damage (now aged 67) and am now back under the glaucoma eye clinic.  I have also had 2 cataract surgeries in the last 2 years.  When I go back to clinic they are going to decide whether to treat me with eye drops (left eye) has a early nasal step.  I think the fields have improved since the surgeries but can't be sure.  I did try xalatan around 3 years ago but it made my asthma worse.  I was taken off it.  They have not been in a hurry to treat with eyedrops.  I seem to be borderline.  My question I am asking is there anyone with glaucoma who also suffers blepharitis which already cause sore eyes etc and uses glaucoma eye drops.  I am wanting to know which ones have least side effect on the eyes and how you cope.  I am hoping that I will not start the eye drops because I have only just got the blepahritis under control again after the surgeries.  Still if I have to I have to as your sight is the most improtant thing.  Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi

yes i've got the 2

i use hypromellose eye drops since the opthalmologist said i have dry eyes.

i cannot comment on which glaucoma drops are linked to blepharitis since i have been on a few different types. the mainreason for changing being the decision of the opthalmologist on the basis of my eye pressure.

i remember xalatan was one of them. 

next time you speak to your opthalmologist, ask about the benefits of weak (sterile) saline wash. i remember making a solution of that once in desperation, and it soothed my eyes a lot.

good luck.

• Posted

Hello, Sorry I must have missed your message.  Thank your for your reply.  I am due to have laser treatment next month on my left eye for early glaucoma this is because of my problem with eye drops. They are fairly confident it will work for  a while but if it doesn't then of course I will need to take eyedrops and try to deal with the side effects.  I too use drops for dry eyes I use individual phials of celluvisc presribed by the hospital.  I will mention to the opthalmologist about a weak saline wash.  Thanks for suggesting it.  Two years after both cataract surgery my eyes are not too bad but it took a lot of patience and time because the surgeries and both steroid and gaucoma drops used afterwards caused a blepharitis flare up.  I am not looking forward to the laser but am praying it will work and I can do without drops for a few years.
  • Posted

Hi. I have had glaucoma for about 5 years now. Had an  trabeculectomy operation on my right eye to try and save sight as eye was badly damaged before they knew I had glaucoma as the optician I first visited said I was very young to have this condition and did anyone in family have it. I was about 48 when diagnosed and no-one to my knowledge in family has glaucoma. I now have been suffering with this blepharitis for a few weeks now. Have just got some cream the doctor gave me to try but feel eyes are worse. Although it's only been a few days yet. Was suggested to try a blepharitis heat mask. So have just tried that after arriving yesterday. I'm hoping this will help as my eyelids are looking sore, red and incredibly itchy, so will try anything. Was concerned glaucoma drops arnt helping this problem. Can anyone else who maybe suffering the same have any other ideas and does anyone know if glaucoma is connected to blepharitis or not. 
    • Posted

Hi,  I have not heard of a heat mask unless you mean the rice bag type that you heat up in the microwave and put on your closed eyelids daily. This is usually followed by eyelid massage and thorough cleaning of the eyelids around the lashes.  I did not get on with it, my eyes must just be very sensitive but many do and find them brilliant so if this is what you have bought do give it a good trial.  I have had blepharitis for many years diagnosed by opthalmologist at Moorfields.

I am about to have laser on my left eye for early glaucoma as I have trouble with eyedrops.  One worsened my asthma and caused sore eyes. Of course if the laser does not work then I will have to use the eyedrops with all the side effects.  As you have only recently had a problem with blepharitis maybe you need to go back to the hospital which you must be under for your glaucoma and tell them.  They might be able to change the eyedrop and will give you a cleaning regime suitable for you.  I don't think glaucoma and blepharitis are connected but both are common so you find patients with both and of course eyedrops don't help but they are sight saving so you must use them as you already know.  Are your eyes dry if so you might want  to

try a preservative free lubricant. I use them and always used them when I was putting in the glaucoma drops around 1/2 hour before as the drops can make the eyes dry.  If you have a clinic appointment soon then they will be able to advise you if not perhaps you could get an earlier one (easier said than done though these days).  There is a lot of good advise on this forum.  My blepharitis was bad after both cataract surgeries which involved steroid and glaucoma eye drops but with patience and good eye care they are not too bad now.  Hopefully your recent problem will be short lived so hang on in there we on this forum know how upsetting this condition can be.  Good luck let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi there. My heat mask isn't wheat as you described. It's a gel filled mask which heats up in hot water for 5mins then you place heated gel mask into a outer mask with a thermal strip in. Lie back with mask  on ,I think for 10mins or so, and then take off and place in the pouch it all came in to keep it as clean as possible. I have only used it once so far and already I felt my eyes looked and felt a little better. My doctor did recommend the gel mask for blepharitis, rather than a warm flannel, so I went online and just thought I'd try it. It cost with p&p around £14....I'm hoping it works as my eyes have been looking and feeling awful for past few weeks. 
    • Posted

Hi,  No I had not heard of this gel mask.  I am assuming this works in the same way as the rice bag but it seems kinder as it heats in water rather than the microwave.  The wheat bag I used which I got online felt really heavy on my lids.  I went back to the flannal method as I had used it for years.  I do hope this gel mask works for you. When you next go to the glaucoma clinic ask them if your oil gands are blocked as you said your eyes felt better after using the mask as it is the heat that liquidfies

the oil which is usually followed by some sort of massage to spread it into the eye.  This is what I suffer from.  Good luck hopeyour eyes improve soon. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.