Glaucoma at 24 years old

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there. I was diagnosed with glaucoma the beginning of the year. I am a white Caucasian male. 24 years of age. The doctor says I have low tension glaucoma. And pigmentary dispression. Possibly pigmentary glaucoma. He did the in office laser on both eyes. Also the visual field test came out normal and no vision lost. He says my corneas are very very thin.

My question is would a cornea transplant help with glaucoma? Meaning would a thicker cornea be able to hold a higher pressure? Also I have tried googling about this disease and getting mixed responses.

Has any one been diagnosed at a young age like me? And managed to keep there eye sight well into an adult life? I am very worried for my future any advice or personal story's would be great fully appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed at 30. I am now 77. One eye has no optic nerve damage, the other very slight and unnoticeable to me. I remember how shocked and frightened I was. My thoughts and best wishes go out to you. I will answer any questions you may have. Marion
    • Posted

Thank you for a fast response. That is amazing that you have no optic nerve damage that is affecting you're vision. I to worry most days about my vision in the future. But hearing that you have managed for so long gives me great relief.

• Posted

Sir, I have been termed Glaucoma suspect. Had around 25 eye pressure in both eyes. And around 0.75 cupping when I was going for a medical check-up for employment.

I want to know how did you managed to keep your eyes healthy for so many years?

What should I do to maintain and improve my eye health?

• Posted

I'm 36 yo female being worked up right now for "glaucoma suspect"  I too have very thin corneas.  I have worn glasses since I was about 10.  my vision hasn't changed much in the past 5 years.  I go for a visual field test tomorrow.  I am super anxious and scared.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.