Glaucoma treatment advice...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was referred to a consultant by the optician, who found an old scar from a mild bleed near my retina. He said it could have been caused by lifting something heavy (which I had) and looked as though it was healing, but because both my parents have glaucoma, he wanted to refer me. I saw a very inexperienced consultant, who appeared to be unable to operate the equipment correctly, who prescribed me eye drops and booked me in for laser treatment. I asked about the condition of my eyes, and about the bleed. She said I had no glaucoma, no sign of the bleed, normal eye pressure and perfect field vision. I asked why I should have the treatment, and she just said I have indicating factors. I am 53. My parents are both in their 80s and have bright red, weeping eyes from the eye drops, they have both had several types of drops, and they all seem to irritate. I have read that the laser treatment works well to reduce pressure, and can be repeated in a few years if needed, but might not work so well the next time. Would it not be better to wait until I actually need it? I really don't want to spend the next 30 years with painful eyes, but I don't want to go blind young either! Is there some way I can get a second opinion?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

There are different types of laser treatment for glaucoma, but if there is apparently nothing wrong why do you need treatment? The usual first line of defence is eye drops. If both your parents have glaucoma that is a factor, but you may not react to eye drops at all. If you are in UK talk it over with your GP who will have been informed of your attendance with a consultant, and may be able to give you a better explanation.

You could also ask for a copy of the letter from the consultant, which you are entitled to have.

If you are not in UK then get another opinion from another ophthalmologist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.