Gleason 9 Im having pain in my thighs

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 49. My prostate cancer was diagnosed in February 2017.  I have done the Eligard hormone therapy, Casodex tabs, external radiation, and brachyterapy (seed implant).  My psa is 6.5. My Gleason was 9.  The doctor said many nodules are present.  When I tell the doctors what I am experiencing they nod and move on. My urologist gave me Xanax and told me it was just my nerves. I can't work on Xanax.  I cant even drive on Xanax.  I explain that my bladder area hurts.  This week my bones have began to ache in my thighs? Is this normal after seed implants.  It has been 13 days since I got them.  I told the doctor but he gave me Norco for pain.  I am not wanting drugs, I am wanting to know if it is normal for your thigh bones to ache.  This week I have had pounding headaches as well.  I am not a hypochondriac at all. My entire life I have tried to be positive.  I really like my oncologist/radiologist and I go see him on Nov 6.  When I asked his office questions, they say I need to ask the urologist. I will definitely ask more questions on Nov 6.  I had a bone scan in March and there were some suspicious areas but they think it is nothing to be concerned about????  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Chris,

You need to get an Axumin PET scan to detect any cancerous PSA cells that might be anywhere else in your body.

This test is specific to prostate cancer and it is far more acurate than your recent bone scan.

• Posted

I will definitely ask for it.  I think I am just scared more than anything but today my bones are aching so bad.
  • Posted

Hello Chris,

I had Brachytherapy over one year ago. I am doing fine now. Keep in mind as with any treatment there are side effects. And that may be what you are experiencing at this time. I took Ibuprofen for discomfort and that helped a lot. Ask your doctor about taking it. The usual dose is 2 tablets (400mg), but my doctor said I could take up to 4 of the over the counter Ibuprofen tablets which is 800mg - a prescription dose. I could usually get by with the regular dose of 2, but sometimes I would take 3 (600mg). As for the seed implants, I was told the half life of the radiation in the seeds was 3 to 4 months and after that, the side effects start to diminish... and they did. I was also put on Tamsulosin (Generic Flomax) to help keep my urine stream flowing better. I was put on that before the procedure as a precaution. At one point, I had to take two tablets a day due to difficulty at night. Shortly though, I went back down to one a day, and then to none. I am off those all together now. I know your frustration, but see your doctor on the 6th and let him know your concerns. He should check your PSA level at the 6 month mark. For me - at 6 months, my PSA was at 0.15. Now at a year and a half, it is 0.11. For a while you may experience fatigue due to the radiation seeds, but that will come and go. So on good days enjoy them... and the not so good days, try to let your body rest it you can. Just know it will pass with time. Take Ibuprofen for discomfort - it helps.

Wishing you the best... and good luck on the 6th. Make sure you have all your concerns ready to ask the doctor.

Charles

• Posted

Thank you for your advice and discussion. The Eligard has made me very tired.  I will try the ibuprofen.  I too am on Flomax.  I think I am just very scared because of the Gleason 9 and how he has told me over and over how aggressive my cancer is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.