Glecainude

Posted , 5 users are following.

I started on flecainide in January at 50 mg twice a day. I have been getting more depressed every day. They increased my dose to 100 mg twice a day and I am borderline suicidal. Anybody else have this issue? I got on citalopram yesterday for it. I took my flecainide this morning but I'm not going to take it anymore. I would rather die of a heart issue than feel like this every day.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi beastdoctor

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

Thank you for that information. I have stopped taking the medication and am actually feeling better. I really appreciate your concern and offer of help!
  • Posted

Sorry about what you're going through. Please keep in mind that I'm not a doctor nor do I know much about your specific condition.

That said, flecainide is just one of a number of drugs or strategies to treat afib or other arrhythmias. There is absolutely no reason why you should be on that drug if it's making you so depressed. Are you seeing an Ep or a cardiologist? If not, they know more about treatment options than general practitioners.

Afib is not a life threatening condition, doesn't shorten your lifespan, and there is no reason why you can't live a normal life. Again, lots of options besides flecainide.

Jim

• Posted

The cardiologist put me on it for premature ventricular contractions. Also not life threatening but really feels bad.
    • Posted

Again, not a doctor, but in general premature ventricular contractions (PVC's) are considered benign and only are treated if the patient thinks them bothersome. I have similar -- Premature Atrial Contractions (PACs) and I"m not on any drugs for them. Sounds like you need a talk with your doctor to get off the Flecaninde right away. And yes, I did some reading, and you're not the only one complaining of depression and suicidal thoughts from Flecaninde.

Jim

• Posted

My previous post went to moderation, so I'll try a shorter version. Premature ventricular contractions are considered benign and are generally not treated with drugs. Yes, they can be uncomfortable but at this point sounds a lot better to just live with them for now as opposed to the side effects from a drug which you probably don't need.

Jim

• Posted

No truer statement. I am a veterinarian and am not clueless about medicine or cardiology. Thus why I am not a fan of doctors. This one is at Baylor in Dallas.
    • Posted

Thank you for looking! I never found anyone else!! I did stop taking the flecainide the next day and am feeling a lot better. My PVCs are very annoying and thats why I finally went in. Have been on metoprolol since. Wore the 30 day event monitor and the doc said the PVCs were getting worse -- thus the flecainide. I'm happy to take the lesser of two evils at this point.

• Posted

You would not rather die from heart issues. No. You are overwhelmed and afraid. Millions of people take this drug and no one enjoys having to do so. It sort of goes from enemy-to friend-emy, to friend, as it allows us to manage heart rythym challenges in spite of side effects. You will be ok. Read stories from others and you will receive strength from this whole army of involuntary warriors managing their challenges. I am also on a support group online called HealthUnlocked. Also contact the doctor who gave you the 

Citalopram and inform him/her of your current feelings as a different and more immediate approach may be considered for your ability to cope with all that is happening. 

You aren’t alone in anything except in your decisions. Be brave. Be strong-few things worth fighting for are easy. Be encouraged, my friend. ?? 

• Posted

I was taken off citalopram when the dose was increased as the drug is known to cause heart problems and given an alternative sertroline. Look at the citalopram drug notes! What dose are you on? Doc should have known this!!

And yes to April... our bodies are amazing and can get used to many drugs so suggest you persist with an alternative to citalopram! Oh dear.. I'm chuntering away at the addition of C when you have AF!!!! Grrh doctors!

• Posted

I have not had this problem, but I think it's very important you discuss this with you doctor and ask him to put you on another medication.  I'm sure there are others that he could try.  Good luck

• Posted

mmm not a good direction to be going in...may I suggest you talk to you doctor about operating a pill in the pocket strategy rather than taking flecainide all the time. I took flecainide daily but eventually woke up to the fact that I could take it only when I felt an episode arriving. It does  depend of course on the nature of your AF - paroxysmal - every month or less / Daily...?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.