Globulin and Albumin

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

I have recently had a liver function test done, it was actually done because I went to see my doctor about panic attacks whilst driving and mentioned I hadn't had a diabetes check in a while despite being pre diabetic. Diabetes tests were fine, but my globulin was very slightly raised, and my albumin slightly low. I'm due to have a retest in a month along with another test which on my form days esis, which I can see looks more specifically at the protiens.

Just wondering what people's experience of this low albumin globulin ratio are? The total protein level I should say is normal. I do get right upper quadrant pain, ascend and persistent nausea and vomitting, which I saw gastro for and they couldn't find any reason with an ultrasound or gastroscopy, but they then gave up and treated the worst of it with amitriptyline. I've also always had bowel issues put down to ibs, but they did some blood and fecal tests which they said ruled out inflammatory bowel or coeliacs.

Interested in any experiences.

As a matter of interest, I also am on the combined oral contraceptive to manage polycystic ovaries, which lowers androgens and I believe increases the action of sex binding globulins. Are these the same globulins? Could all this be because I'm on the pill? My dr knows I am but hadn't mentioned it and I haven't spoken to him since I thought of it!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

When I read that you were on the pill I thought I should share with you. Thirteen years ago I had a himangeoma that grew to be about the size of a large grapefruit. I did have surgery and had it removed. While see my doc after the surgery he was telling us our instructions after discharge. I was told I could not take hormones any longer. That made me read the pamphelet that come with the pill. In very tiny print it says it can cause himangeoma tumors. Nover 2016 I was having bleeding issues and my gyn thought the patch contraception would be ok to use. It didn't help me at all and I ended w a hysterectomy which then came Budd Chiari. I believe the oral contraception had a big role in my liver issues.

But everyone is different, but I wish someone would have talked to me more before I just started taking the pill. Praying for the best for you.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, it's helpful to know your experiences, but sorry to hear the pill caused you such issues, and I hope things are settling down for you now.

I was always aware liver issues were a possibility on the pill, but frankly all medications say that as they get absorbed by the liver first, so in all honesty I brushed it off. Thankfully I've just had a repeat blood test and things have returned to normal, but having the pill on my mind this blood test was taken after 6 weeks of taking the pill back to back due to a holiday, now I've had the 7 day break and was back on it a week when I had the second test and it's normalised. Might be a coincidence, but I'm starting to think maybe not. If nothing else it suggests I shouldn't back to back it in future!

As I mentioned the tests were done following new onset panic attacks. The more I read about the pill I'm on (dianette) there does appear to be a weak link with depression and anxiety disorders. Again is this a coincidence? I just don't know. I've been on it for years, though I do take regular self led breaks of months at a time due to general risks of being on the pill and giving my body a break. I'm sure this all started mildly when I was on a break but just can't remember.

Anyway, long story short I'm going to stop taking the pill, for a while anyway, and see what happens. Issue is the main reason I'm on it is for hirsitism, which gets pretty bad when I'm not on it, so guess I'm eventually going to have to work out what's the lesser of two evils!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.