globus hystericus

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have suffered with this condition for believe it or not for forty five years but only found out yesterday that it is a medical condition but this was not by a doctor but my therapist who herself did not know anything about it it was only by chance that she checked it up while I was there .I always thought that I was slowly going mad and I was the only person who had this problem .I would never tell anybody because I thought they would laugh at me .I think that all those years ago they most probably would have .but know I can talk to people now about it and they don't laugh at me this condition is life changing it really makes me get very bad anxiety attacks where I keep trying to clear my throat and the more I do it the worse it gets my throat goes dry and I have to keep sipping water to try and take it away .but I know that there is help out there so please do not despair you are not on your own and we do manage to get on top of it it takes time but we do get there .I feel for everyone who has this condition

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

i have a same problem too i want to get ride of it but still struggle on it 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply .I really struggle some days when I am feeling really bad but we have to carry on .its the wanting to clear my throat that really gets to me and I keep telling myself this is a normal thing to do but my brain is not having non of it but we do feel better after awhilit ta
    • Posted

we are on the same page i am still learning how to living with that but did you go diagnosis that you problem is Globus ? Do you work while this feeling happen because it is so bothering on work i think .
  • Posted

Sandra, thank you for sharing your experience. Can you please tell me if the sensation feels like a grain of rice in the back of your throat? Does it come and go throughout the day? Personally, for me, it's not there immediately when I wake in the morning, but comes back in about an hour. I truly believe it is stress related, so my ENT put me on Setraline (?) for anxiety. I'm not sure if it is working or not. My biggest fear is that they are missing something and it will be something much worse. I have found that my voice gets hoarse when it is worse. What are your experiences?

• Posted

Thank you for your reply no it does not feel like a grain of rice but I keep wanting to clear my throat and the more I do it the worse it gets .my throat gets very dry and my voice gets croaky and yes I do suffer with anxiety and have done for many years but it is only know that I have put the two together .anxiety brings on this problem I think it is my brain trying to take my mind of the real reason why I feel the way I do .it feels like my brain is in a battle with itself .we do feel better as time goes by but it Does take time at least we know we are not the only ones out there with this condition .so we are not alone. Hope you get better soon
  • Posted

how can you live with this for forty-five years ? i am start suffering for about 6 months already killing me . i hate that feeling and bothering me so much . 
  • Posted

Hello Sandra

i just came across your post regarding the tight feeling in your throat/Globus and felt such empathy for you that you have had this so many years...God bless you.  I too have suffered from this off and on for 20 years.  I have found other posts stating they have had to endure this feeling for two weeks or three days.. Your post is the only one I can relate to.  I have had all kinds of tests in the past and am having an upper endoscopy this week..I'm scared, of results.  I have a tightness, swollen type feeling constantly right around the Adam's apple.  I suffer from Gerd and a sliding hiatal..my biggest problem is health anxiety, anxiety and panicky feelings.  Had that my whole life.  Anyway just wanted to tell you I feel for you and know what you are going thru.  Have you had tests or treatment? Anything that has helped?  I'm a highly sensitized worrier...what is your personality?  Hope you are having a good day.

Warm Regards...

• Posted

That was a very wonderful message.I know how you feel cause I suffer the same thing.I feel that each time you worry it will worsen it but if I try to ignore it it's just there. No pain or difficulty in swallowing but it is actually better if I eat or drink.I take Omeprazole in the morning and Ranitidine before bedtime and it lessens the discomfort. Mine is on the right side and there are times that my tongue feels swollen and my tongue also has teeth marks. Been frequenting GP visits but still unsatisfied with all the answers. Just had bloodworks recently which came back fine.

I wish you all the best for your endoscopy.Keep in mind that our body has its own healing mechanism and you will surpass this test.

Take care for now.

• Posted

Thank you diamond owl for the reassuring reply.  I too have never received help from my GP either.  I took Omerpralozam not sure what the other medis you take.  I've stopped it for a few days till after my tests.  

I do hope you are having a good day and thanks again for your reply.

warm regardssmile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.