Globus pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had this globus problem my whole life. First time a girl broke my heart I got it, but I was young and recovered. Now I refer to it as my broken heart syndrome. I am a 56 year old retired Power Lineman. Hardened and tough. Right? I had recurring bouts with the chocking tight feeling in my neck through out my career. Now that I retired ( early due to stress ), I have the chocking feeling all the time. I understand what triggers it and am learning how to cope with the physical pain it causes. I take Xanax three times a day, trying for two a day. Prozac or Lexapro was no help. 

I have also gone to the doc many times, I hate going to the doc. But, he knows and understands my problem. Xanax isn't a cure and we both know it. I used to work and work and work. My cure. So I try to keep my mind on other things besides the pain now that I'm retired.

I'm sure some mental health professional would want me to poor out my problems to them and maybe that would help, You just can't unsee some things. You can't undo bad things. I just can't relive all the pain. 

For me and maybe for you, look forward and find inspiration or new love. Go forward. Reliving past horrors, although never forgettable, has to be forgiven without self blame.

Try to meditate, take some time away with a loved one. 

Do anything you can to make the most of your day and hopefully your pain will subside. The pain is real. The cure is in our heads.

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried the breathing techniques for vocal cord dysfunction? Google it. Then when you are trying to relax medicate etc try these. It may benefit to relax your throat area. I don't do these enough not sure if o have been in compliance with it. But maybe it will help you . Good luck. Tension is not good especially in the throat area.

• Posted

Absolutely great post and advices! Yes, everything you mentioned makes total sense!

Day after day I also start to belive this is something cause to our Mental health, that somehow affect our nerves down the neck/esophagus

Thank you for sharing your experience and advices!!!

Keep us posted !

• Posted

Thank you carrie20720 and henrique20581 for responding. My experience is as unique as anyone of us. I can emphasize with people that have this condition because I know how dehabilitating it can be. My story only concludes with deepening depression and anxiety which  triggers the tightness and pain. So I can't go there now but to help myself and others I want to describe my techniques. 

First, I can bring on a bout of this by dwelling on horrible things that I've witnessed and experienced. It can be brought on  

• Posted

In my case, its sensation.....not pain.

Its being in my neck for 10 yrs now.

Have used different meds, only partial improvements.

• Posted

PJ, thanks for writing this. I just started experiencing this a few months ago. At first I thought I had a persistent sore throat, then thought maybe I had swallowed something. Then I started thinking I had cancer. Doc's say no evidence of anything at all. I'm an Iraq war vet, work for the govt., on my second marriage (I royally screwed up my first, but as you said, you can't undo past things and I'm still trying to forgive myself). Kids are all teens and my son begins college next year, so of course I'm extremely stressed out about that, hardly ever sleep and work long hours and now this garbage. Doc thinks I have allergies, but I live on East Coast of the US and it's December, so not exactly allergy season time. I'm thinking of going to see a shrink or trying to find time for some meditation each day because I can't keep going on with this feeling that something is stuck in my throat. It's unnerving and excruciating. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.