Globus pharyngeus

Posted , 2 users are following.

Has anyone else been diagnosed with this please?

Constant throat clearing and feeling like something is stuck particularly on left hand side.

Becomes worse as day goes on, started with constant belching and now been going on for several years.

no problem at night time

thought if might be allergies, sudafed tablets seem to help a little

Prescribed Avamys, had terrible effect on throat clearing, and made more mucus.

Seen ENT, no worries that it is anything sinister, but suspected globus pharyngeus.

any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Hot drinks, something to take during day maybe. PPI's considered a possibility.

thank you

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi gill88268

Unfortunately globus is, as far as I know, a diagnosis of exclusion. And most doctors nowadays don't have time to help the patients exclude possibilities. That's probably why very few (if any) have ben diagnosed with globus here.

But there's a lot of us that, just like you, are in great suffer. Apparently the symptoms vary from person to person, so probably you are not going to get another user with the symptoms that you have.

I myself developed this problem after a meal. I stayed with foreign body sensation, but there is no foreign body and doctor's don't want to further investigate to exclude other possibilities, so it has been 14 months so far for me, the worst time of my life.

I still don't know if I have damaged cartilage in the throat or if it is "only" a psychosomatic problem, which would be called globus in this case.

I feel as if something is touching the back of my throat, when before there was nothing in contact with that place. Feels also as if the left side of my throat is damaged. When I swallow, I feel it scratching.

It's terrible. The best way to explain how terrible it is... well, if any person started with these symptoms now, in less than one hour they would run to the hospital in agony and would accept nothing less than leaving the hospital only with the problem solved.

And to think that I'm fighting this nightmare for more than 14 months, already on antidepressants... I look at myself, with the eyes I had 2 years ago, and I feel sorry for me, for the completely destroyed person that I am today. This depresses me even more. I really fear that I can't get out of this situation and my life will be over soon. Or bad things can happen...

Well, stay strong. Not to minimize your situation, but by the way you express yourself and the fact that you say you have this for years, I suppose your symptoms are not so terrible. Or that you found a way to deal with them without letting them destroy your life.

Do you feel any symptoms while eating? For what you say, while sleeping it's fine and you can sleep without any difficulties, correct?

Is it always present? Even when it is not troubling you, if you "look for it", it is always there?

All the best to you. Keep us updated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.