Globus Related to Reflux?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

I posted sometime ago about my having the Globus sensation, which I felt began after I had eaten too quickly--or not spent enough time chewing my steak before swallowing.

The sensation lasted for weeks and would come and go---and be gone mainly when I was eating or drinking. But then more problems began to occur.

I started having pressure in my throat, almost as if it were going to explode. I have had difficulty swallowing, and unless I take small bites of food, I can sometimes feel it scraping down the back of my spine like it was going the wrong way (painful). I went to the ENT and there was a lot of mucus in my vocal chords, and I've been thinking for so long it was allergies--and having to cough up the "gunk" (sorry). But now, instead of it being all about allergies--it seems to be coming from the gut (reflux). My doctor gave me a pamphlet on "LPR" (Silent Reflux)

If you read up on Acid Reflux, it usually has heartburn symptoms listed. Although I've had heartburn before, what I had now was completely different. While doing more research, it seemed that my problems are pointing to "Silent Reflux"---and one of the symptoms is the "lump in throat" (i.e. Globus). So...that being said, I would urge everyone who feels this Globus sensation to read up on LPR/Silent Reflux, and probably change their diet according to what is suggested for people with Silent Reflux/LPR. Basically no Citrus, no Tomato based products, no smoking, alcohol, no caffine, no sodas or carbonated beverages, fried foods, fatty foods, eat less red meat and the list goes on. Eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day (because not eating at all can cause this) and raise your bed. Don't eat (or drink any alcohol) 2 hours or more before bed. This is all new to me, so I haven't tried everything--I'm reading up on all the websites to get a full list of foods to avoid or limit. Also, although lemon water is very healthy in so many ways--for someone with reflux it is not helpful. I had been drinking a lot of lemon water before, now I have to cut that out of my diet. I had been taking ginger root and Papaya for years to sooth my IBS issues, which worked great. But I read somewhere if you have reflux, the Papaya is ok and not the ginger root.Here is a website about LPR--I hope that my post has helped some people find answers. It's important to try to get this under control because neglecting it could cause serious problems to your esophagus, voice box and even lungs. I am scheduled for a barium swallow (not happy), but I think I want to get an endoscope to see if there is any damage to my esophagus. I think if you've been suffering from these things it is a good idea to see the extent of the damage before it gets more serious. Good luck to you!: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/head-neck/diseases-conditions/hic-laryngopharyngeal-reflux-lpr.aspx

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I am also suffering this condition and have done for a number of years i am always afraid of getting something much worse and don't know what you are supposed to eat any more i would be grateful if you could tell me specifically what kinds of food you have been told to eat as i am at my wits end.
    • Posted

The problem i believe now with this miserable condition is food indigestion. More detailed, carbohydrates.. We have low stomach acid and poor digestive enzymes production.

Carbohydrates create a lot of pressure on LES. It is a gas reflux. I have read scientific articel about that and i do feel better on enzymes supplement and low carbo intake.

• Posted

take an anti hystamine ... 24hr one Non drowsey . 95% is hystamine relese low level tightins your throat , its not life threatining as you would need hives first , its just bothersome had it for 10 yrs .. did every test .

Simple 24 hr non drowsey : CETIRIZINE tablet

• Posted

Hi Julie,

It's been awhile since your post. Can you give us an update and also any tips?

Thanks

CC

• Posted

You have heard of food indigestion, carbos that put pressure on LES, gas reflux?
    • Posted

Yes I'm going to try SIBO diet. I think no sugar and high probiotics helped but then I caved and had to have sugar again. I didn't realize it but I think I'm addicted to sugar.

• Posted

Who isnt? smile I didnt know that stuff, one nutritionist warned me. Toast, spaghetti, bread, too much of cereals, man i ate 700g- 1kg of carbohydrates per day! Even 30g of indigested carbos do damage and i had h pylori infection, that is known to reprogramm the stomach to produce less acid,so there is indigestion going on.

• Posted

Thanks makes me feel less like I'm the only one. 😀🙏

• Posted

Hi Im having a bronchitis on October 2016, the doctor prescribe me Salbutamol and Antibiotics. But after it was gone I was back coughing but this time its because i feel the back of my throat is so watery, i keep constantly clearing that, and sometimes it feels like it goes to my lungs causing me coughing so bad it gaves me a headache. It feels like youre inhaling water. So i went to ER they said it was alergic reaction after the bronchitis gone. They give me Dextamine and Codipront for the coughing. But it never get better, went to other doctor prescribe me with Dextral Forte and still no improvement. Then went to internist which diagnose that I have a reflux, gave me pantozol, aerius,nasonex, later change the pantozol to nexium. I felt better the coughing reduce alot. But i still feel that watery throat and constant clearing. Any advise for drugs that could dry that back of the throat?
  • Posted

Hi, Im having it at the back of my throat exactly at the tip of my lungs, so everytime I experience the sensation it feels like im choking on my own saliva. My GS feels more like a watery throat that goes into my lungs when the reflux happened so I have a constant coughing to clear my lungs from the saliva. I already raise a forum to have a relief solution but seems no one replied. But I finaly found a solution. Its a very rare medicine that no one ever mentioned in every forums I read. It was called Chyproheptadine Hcl. It was actually an Asmathic Bronchitis allergy drug. I have tried Dextamine that is a very strong antihistamine, Claritin, Nasonex, Aerius with no result. This one takes imediate result, and gives me relief within half an hour. I know I shouldnt lead people to misuse to drugs but you can consult with your doctor first.
  • Posted

THE CURE IS THIS : take a 24hr antihystamine tablet Take 1 (zyrtec in USA its called : ingredent is (  Cetirizine ) UK serch boots for Allergy Relief 10mg Tablets Cetirizine Hydrochloride .

1 a day make it go away , your body is releasing low level hystamine TRUST me dont pay for tests EXPENSIVE and takes ages I was clear of all allergies but my body tempeture caused my body to attack itself and I would get Globus , its a mild throat closing nothing dangerous just annoying , Iv been taking this anti hystamine tablet never came back... I just take one every day non drowsey stay away from benadryl makes you drowsey . or you can take one NOW any anti hystamin tablet will work. let me know and others here if it helped .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.