Globus Sensation/Hysteria for days - Already scared! Help me

Posted , 9 users are following.

Having first noticed it during the weekend, I've been suffering with this sensation of a lump or something - a hair, it feels like - in the bottom of my throat, just under the Adam's apple, just to the left. It's the feeling of half soreness (as in getting a sore throat), and half irritation.

And like many, I went on the internet and scared myself because of what I saw. A condition for which there is no cure. I already have one of those, thank you (Tinnitus) and having another really doesn't make anything easier.

I did, however, find something that put me to a bit of rest - ironically a mum's net discussion where the suggestion was that it was caused either by stress, a steroid based inhaler, or a cut in the throat caused by certain foods. All of which are possible, as I have to have an inhaler for allergies (the blue and the brown on weekends), dealing with tinnitus (along with uni and life) is stressful in itself, and of course, I eat (nom).

Eating and drinking does seem to help it become more unnoticable, but I'm still starting to get scared again. And by the look of some of these threads, going to the Doctor's is pointless.

Why is it that I'm getting all the annoying cureless conditions? It's screwing everything up! My creativity, my confidence....my willingness to find a boyfriend......

Does this go away over time or do I have to learn to live with it like I have to with T? Do I need to take something?

Please, any help is appreciated....

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Updates

Thanks for the support, guys. Unfortunately there's been very little change in my globus. If anything, it may have gotten a little bit worse, but I can never be sure.

I've been able to narrow down the possibilities to the acid reflux thing.

As for my doctor's appointment......I missed it, so now I need to wait until next week for another one. Part of me hopes this will go away in this time, but I'm doubting it....

• Posted

Update!

Okay, I finally got to see a doctor, and after discussing it with him, he suggested that it could be a fungal infection caused by my brown inhaler (why always with the 'could' - no definite answers).

So, he gave me some oral gell to put on the back of my tongue for a week (hello gag reflex). Well, 10 days, but I've been a bit confused on how I go about applying it...I'm not even sure if I'm doing it right atm, honestly.

As for whether it actually works, I can't tell yet. It certainly seems to go down, but only for a little while before the feeling returns. I'm part hopeful and part skeptical (how long does an infection take to heal on its own?).

• Posted

I think no one knows just what causes globus or how to make it go away, so you've just got to try everything. Mine took about 9 months to subside to the point where it doesn't intrude in my life anymore. So take heart, believe it will slowly go away of it's own accord and it will.
  • Posted

New update

So, continuing from last time, the Doctor still thinks its a fungal infection caused by my brown inhaler.

The cream/paint stuff didn't seem to work very well, so I'm now on some antibiotics (Erythromycin.....whatever that means).

Its...hard to know whether or not this is getting better....its like my tinnitus all over again.....

• Posted

New update (if anyone is actually still reading this)

My Doctor still thinks its an infection and says the feeling of an infection can linger even when the infection itself is gone, so I have to wait a while before the next appointment (23rd, I ask you!). If it does not clear up by then, then I think its ENT for me.

I haven't mentioned Globus to him yet, but I will next time.

BUT two things I have noticed about my throat recently....1. As well as thefeeling of something there, I also noticed that my throat feels very dry. 2. After that Dr's appointment, it has started to feel better. ....until I went to my dads.....

• Posted

Hi there,

I have all the symptoms you mentioned. Feeling of lump or hair in the throat, very dry at the back of your tongue.It's good to know that you didnt mention Globus to your Dr and he might at least have known based on your symptoms. Some of the suffferers are no longer here. Maybe they healed already. As for me, it is worst in the moring accompanied by burps and bitter taste. I'm on Omeprazole 25 mg once in the morning Vit B12 and St. John's Wort. I truly believe that worry and anxiety aggravates it. I  am hoping against hope that those who were healed will tell us overall the length of time they suffered it, the triggers , or diet.

Wishing on  a star wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.