Globus sensation, sore throat and neck pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm sure most people in this community are familiar with the symptoms that I'm having. As I'm currently in the process of getting diagnosed - I thought I'd check here and get some feedback.

I'm 32 year old male with no serious health issue. I started having this globus sensation about 5 months ago. At the beginning I wasn't sure what it was and thought it was just indigestion. It didn't go away after a couple of days - so I had a phone appointment with the gp and they prescribed me to take omeprazole for 2 weeks because they suspected it's because of acid reflux. I got slightly better after that and didn't really call the doctor back for a follow-up.

But about 2 months ago - I started having the same sensation again and it's a bit worse this time. My GP put me on omeprazole again - first 2 weeks one dose a day and then 2 doses a day after I told him it didn't really help. One thing a bit strange is that it's just the feeling of tightness - I can actually eat or drink fine and in fact, I feel better during or after the meal. Since it's been over a month with the symptom and I had h. pylori about 1.5 years ago, my GP asked me to do a test about 10 days ago which I'm still waiting for the result. Since then I started having slight sore throat that doesn't go away and pain on the front of my neck(on either sides of the throat) along with the stiff neck. I'm aware that if I have GERD - sore throat is also possible(although I haven't had it before). But pain in the neck is a bit confusing for me as I'm not sure if it's related to my globus sensation or because of muscle issue.

My GP said if I don't have h. pylori, he'll send me for endoscopy but I'm not sure when I can actually get the test done due to the situation with Covid. In the mean time, it's quite uncomfortable in my day to day life and especially affecting my sleep at night as lying down makes the sensation and pain worse. Just posting here to see if anyone else come across the same experience and if you've managed to get diagnosed and find something that works for you.

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

hi, i had globus for around 6 months straight and it was the worst i felt like someone constantly had their hands around my throat like i was being strangled! one of the worst times of my life! I thought i had all sorts wrong but turns out it was anxiety! i had councelling and went on citalopram and eventually it slowly dissapeared. i wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy it was the worst time BUT i got through it and it was all fine so i hope you find something that works for you x

• Edited

Thanks for sharing your experience and your kind words. For me, it's been about 3 months in this 2nd occurrence. Have been on omeprazole since the beginning and it kind of helps a bit with the Globus feeling. But I'm a bit worried about the sore throat and pain at the front of the neck (on each side of throat) and on my neck. The doctor said they might be unrelated but i can't really get the tests done now due to covid. Just hoping i got the diagnosis and start the treatment as soon as possible.

• Posted

you are describing exactly the way i am feeling . pain at front of neck and either side with sore throat that actually feels like the far back of my tongue as well, did you get any further forward with yours , do you throat clear with mucus ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.