Glossary?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have just joined this group, as I am due to have my cataract assessment appointment this week with surgery next week. I have been looking through the messages, but I don't understand most of them! Is there somewhere I can look to understand all the initials and all the jargon?

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

good question. lets create one here.

1. intraocular lens = iol = optic

type of iols:

1. monofocal - corrects vision for distance, intermediate or near.
    2. trifocal - corrects for all 3 distances. can cause contrast loss which makes vision dimmer. examples are zeiss lisa, tecnis synergy, alcon psn optix)
    3. multifocal - traditionally bifocals correcting distance and near. can cause contrast loss which makes vision dimmer.
    4. edof - extended depth of focus. corrects for distance and intermediate. also corrects near for some people. lesser contrast loss than multi/trifocal. (examples are zeiss lara, tecnis symfony, alcon vivity).

1. monovision: one eye is set for distance correction and the other eye is set to correct near/ intermediate. typically monofocals are used for this strategy. can be mini and micro monovision depending on the difference in correction of the two eye.
    2. PCO: posterior capsular opacification. happens after the surgery in weeks to years. making vision cloudy again.
    3. YAG: laser to treat PCO. can result in floaters, glare after treatment.
    4. Femtolaser: laser to cut into the cornea during cataract surgery instead of using a blade.
    5. PD: positive dysphotopsia. weird glare phenomenon associated with lens implanted during cataract surgery. happens if the pupil is large.
    6. ND: Negative dysphotopsia. dark shadow arcs on the side of the eyes after surgery. specific cause is unknown.
    7. haptics: non correcting extensions of the iol for stability for the iol in the eye. they can be loop (in tecnis and alcon lens) or plate (in zeiss lens)
    8. RD: retina detachment.
    9. PVD: posterior vitreous detachment. age related condition that cause floaters in the eye.
    10. miotic drops: drops to constrict pupil.

will look forward to other additions.

• Posted

excellent job

May I add :toric lens - a lens for to correct astigmatism and not considered a medical condition so there is a charge outside of insurance

• Posted

Wow, Many thanks Soks, that is brilliant, it all makes sense now. Thanks to ara for your contribution too.

• Posted

1. toric lens - a lens for to correct astigmatism and not considered a medical condition so there is a charge outside of insurance.
      2. LRI - Limbal relaxing incisions. Cuts made during cataract surgery to address mild astigmatism not addressed by the toric lens.

toric is an important one.

• Posted

Pat, it sounds like I am a little late with help as it sounds like you probably have had your surgery by now. In any case one of the best resources for information I have found is a publication by the Canadian Journal of Optometry. Posting links does not seem to be allowed here, but if you search for the phrase below I'm sure you will find it. One caution though. It does seem to have an Alcon lens bias. The very last statement in the document is "THIS SUPPLEMENT WAS MADE POSSIBLE THROUGH UNRESTRICTED FUNDING FROM ALCON CANADA". Regardless it seems to be very good information as good as I have found on the subject of IOLs for cataracts. It is slightly dated at 2015, so no info on the very latest lenses on the market.

cjo-77-cataract-supplement_final.pdf

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.