Gloves

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All, i wonder if anyone can help me. I have two dogs and walk them daily across fields. Lovely in the summer but i dread the winter because of my Raynauds. I am lucky in the sense it has to be very cold for me to get and attack, or if i get wet hands which is commone on very cold and wet days. I have paid out a fortune in gloves that they say keep your hands warm and hand warmers. Nothing has been successful once the weather gets really bad. I am hoping some other people might have to be outside through no choice and how they cope and if you could suggest anything that works please to keep your hands warm and dry.

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hi

have you tried cycling / motorcycle glves?

not very elegant perhaps and maybe a bit clumsy, but should be wind and waterproof. something leather? eg gardening gloves? get a larger size and wear something wooly underneath?

I am fortunate in that I can keep my gloved hands in my pockets, which gives extra protection, but not practical if walking the dogs.

but is good to be thinking about such things now - am having great difficulty typing this as i did not wear gloves when i went out today and is taking long to recover.

good luck

• Posted

Wintery outdoor activites call for thermal mittens with handwarmer packets in each palm (sometimes I have to wrap the packets in cloth because they can get very warm). I hope that helps.
  • Posted

I wish I could, but since I have no pets to walk I stay indoors as much as possible. Have tried battery warmer gloves too, so heavy and hand warmers only last about 30 minutes. The best tip I can give is to warm my hands up thoroughly and then put on fairly loose wool gloves or mittens with a plastic bag over the top.  Good luck

• Posted

Hello homely60. I've suffered with Raynaud's and put up with cold hands and feet for years. I eventually discussed it with my GP and she has prescribed Nifedapine 3 times a day. The difference has been remarkable. My circulation has improved dramatically! Even my friend who does my nails every month has noticed how much stronger my nails are. I know we haven't had the really cold weather yet but I started to develop a chilblain in August and after taking the Nifedapine for less than a week it cleared up.
  • Posted

I have to use/push my wheelchair in all weather so I know what it's like to have wet cold Raynauds hands, plus I have Raynauds in my feet as well, so I know what your hands must feel like 

I wear possum skin mitts and wear them inside a pair of goatskin mitts.. The possum fur has a national fine hollow fibor that keeps the warm air trapped against the skin, keeping you toasty warm.. I only wear the goatskin mitts to stop the possum skin from wearing out pushing my wheelchair.. I always rub in beeswax to the outside of the goatskin mitts each week as it keeps them soft and more waterproof, plus they last for ever..

I wear a lot of sheepskin and possum skin garments (I'm aways wearing my sheepskin ugg boots) as I find national fibor keep me warmer.. It also pays to keep them turned inside-out and stays fluffed up, so the hollow fibors keep dry with plenty of air in them (keeps you warmer)..

I grow up on out family farm so I've learned a lot about starting warm in all weather..     I hope this may help..?  Mike

• Posted

Oops, about starting warm should read, about "staying" warm..  
  • Posted

Hi just wanted to thank everyone for responding. I will try all your suggestions and let you know what works.
  • Posted

I suffer attacks even during summer when I go grocery shopping. I never go anyhwere witouth this handwarmer. I only have one, but keep switching it between my hands and during winter I put it inside my mittens. It is wonderful.  We bought it online. its name is Energyflux and   it charges via either USB or AC adapter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.