Glucosamine any good?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there

Has anyone had any success with glucosamine for OA please? There are so many varieties and I'm confused!

Thank you

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My wife and I tried it some years ago. It did not help and gave us heartburn. Turmeric did not help either. However they both work for some people so it is worth trying it for a couple of months.

• Posted

Many thanks, Derek76.

I don't want to take any tablets if I can help it but if people think it's really good I'll try it!

• Posted

The best thing you can do is avoid taking any NSAIDs for your arthritis. You can use a painkiller occasionally for things like a headache, but not as a daily analgesic for the arthritis pain. These meds, including aspirin, interfere with cartilage regeneration. And doctors also say to keep the weight down to avoid stressing the joints. In my case I've had quite a lot of back pain and other problems associated with the spine, and my physiotherapist of many years ago prescribed exercises to keep the muscles strong so the spine was well supported. I know these are very important and I continue to do them nearly every day, morning and evening.

These are things which can help and do not involve taking more pills!

• Posted

I agree totally !! I rarely take NSAIDs and not for arthritis. My Mother also ruined her stomach from them.

• Posted

I also took NSAIDS (Ibuprofen) over an 18 month period and also had severe stomach problems. I was taking turmeric at the same time. I have tried many alternative options for pain relief but nothing seems to work. for me. I have OA in both thumb joints and an considering an operation to remove my trapezium joint with reconstuction. I understand it's a very painful procedure.

• Posted

Interesting isn't it that a cure for the ailments which eventually most people get, like the common cold or osteoarthritis still elude the researchers.

• Posted

A fortune awaits someone.

I had better not boast about not having had a cold for about three years or one will strike me down tomorrow. I put it down to my disabilities that have reduced my use of public transport.

When I do get a cold the homeopathic remedy Aconite stops it in its tracks.

• Posted

Last winter I delayed a regular visit to the doctor as I didn't think it would be a good idea for me to have to wait in a room full of sick people!

Always a silver lining. 😎

• Posted

Last year my wife has a fall and had to go to A&E. They decided to keep her overnight for observation and she came out with a Flu like illness. I think that having had the vaccine prevented it from being the full blown version. We phoned the doctor for advice and he prescribed Tamiflu . The pharmacy took two days to get it and by then she was feeling better and did not take it,.

• Posted

It helped me when I first started having issues.

• Posted

Hi there

Did you take tablets or capsules and what quantity please?

Many thanks

• Posted

I don't remember. It's been 20 years. I only remember that it helped.

• Posted

So it cured you and you no longer have issues ??

• Posted

No, sorry to say, it only helped a few years. Maybe 5 at the most. Then I lost all the cartilage in most of my joints.

I now have both knee replacements, both hip replacements, one shoulder, and lower back fusion. I had the surgeries over 9 years. Before that, I had torn meniscus in both knees. Doctor smoothed out the cartilage and trimmed meniscus. I was told that I should have had replacements then. I was too young. I got by for 10 years. Had pain, couldn't walk very far. Then began surgeries.

I have severe osteoarthritis. My sister is almost as bad. The generations above us had only one replacement. Every time I got one done, another one got bad. My fusion was in the lower back. L 3, 4, 5. My stair step is what I called it was bad. Spondylolisthesis. Now I am starting to have symptoms in my neck. I will wait awhile.

It's odd, in my shoulder, I did not have a tear where most people have issues. I had no cartilage left.

All of my joints where bone on bone.

I really did feel like the glucosamin and Chondroitin helped at the beginning.

• Posted

It probably did help in the early stages but does not stop it from progressing. An old neighbour of mine had almost as much surgery as you.

• Posted

At the time, my arthritis Doctor was adamant that I take it. I do believe it helped. Less pain, and was able to move easier.

• Posted

Did he recommend any particular brand or dosage. My present and last GP's do not think it helps.

• Posted

I don't remember. It was 20 years ago. Sorry. I agree with JayJay, early stages.

I did feel different, for the better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.