gluteal tendonopathy - so painful

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with gluteal tendonopathy - I am 66 and it is not improving - started in March, and I've been seeing a physio sever since. I've had a steroid injection, which worked for few days, but very short lived.

It is so painful to walk - I am really concerned that this is  it and the future looks bleak.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Rosoer, my sympathies to you! I had torn gluteus medius and minimus tendons that did not heal on their own. I had surgery to repair them a year ago. I still have occasional mild pain and weakness, but I can walk pretty well without pain most of the time. I am guessing you are in the UK. I am in the US. How were you diagnosed? Did you have any imaging done in addition to the physical exam and history? Mine was diagnosed with MARS MRI.

I ask because you might have actual tears in your tendons, which could account for all that pain. There is more and more knowledge and expertise in dealing with gluteal tendon problems these days. My surgeon has recently pioneered techniques for arthroscopic surgery. I could message you his website, which includes detailed information about these issues, in case you are interested. We are generally not allowed to post links in these replies, but I can personal message it to you.

Bottom line, yes, these gluteal tendon injuries are painful and debilitating, but they are repairable, given the proper diagnosis and treatment, which your health system may or may not be able to provide for you. But it is good to know what is available and to advocate to get it. 

• Posted

Hi AnnieK I would love to have the surgeons name and website so I can do research before meeting with my ortho dr that did my thrs. I have s verse pain in my left hip and had a MRI this week and will meet with my dr next week to discuss findings and treatment. Have been battling this pain since Nov 2016 and after several injections now believe I have a tear. Need to have as much information as possible to be able to discuss intelligently and knowledgeable with my dr next week.  I am my strongest advocate and need my dr to understand how debilitating this pain is and how it has affected my life. Thanks for any info you can message to me. I am deeply grateful. 
    • Posted

What is a MARS MRI? I had an MRA and it was clear. I have pain in outer hip area, sometimes groin also. Walking is getting painful. Dr gave steroid injection and says he does not want to do a scope but if this doesn't work he will.

• Posted

Victoria, a MARS MRI is a Metal Artifact Reduction Sequence MRI. It is used when you need an MRI but have had a hip replacement, and the metal in the prostheses causes the images to be wavy and hard to read. The MARS makes the images clearer. You can google and get good explanations.

• Posted

Any information would be appreciated. My Dr thinks I have a tear in a gluteal tendon and plans to do arthoscopy to find and repair it. This is scheduled for next month.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Rosoer I've been trying to reach AnnieK to get the name of the doctor and the information on his website but she has not responded to me. Have you had any luck in getting this information from her? Do you think you could send it to me a soon as possible as I'm in terrific pain and I see my ortho doctor on Thursday and I want to have as much information as I can before I go there. Thanks so much I hope you're doing  better, and that you have found out what is causing all of your pain. I know with me it is definitely a tear in the tendon and no injections will help things as they need to be repaired they do not heal on their own. I can't even walk and I am basically bedridden so life is very difficult and I understand how you feel about the future as it does not look very bright. My sympathies. 

• Posted

Just saw your message, and have responded by message. Hope it is helpful!
    • Posted

hi there,

i am sorry to hear your news.

my mother has had surgery for a torn tendon in hip area. They had to remove the bursa as it’s was shredded. They repaired the tendon and reattached to bone and muscle. They also repaired torn glut muscles.

she was much better for 9 months - albeit walking with a stick.

last Sunday she twisted acqwardly and collapsed onto the floor, in great pain.

i suspect she has torn the tendon again, they say they cannot operate again. She is having an mri scan today to establish the diagnosis.

my concern is :

1. How to control the pain.

2. Will she be able to walk again ? Or even be mobile around the house.

i feel alarmed that they simply right people off - my mother although 80 is a fit individual with the mindset of a 60 year old.

do you have any suggestions/ideas/who i can speak to for a second opinion.

happy to help you as much as i can

regards

paula

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.