Gluten and vision

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been having a host of vision problems for the past eight or nine months. I started out seeing my optometrist thinking maybe my prescription changed and I was having problems with eye strain. He told me nothing was wrong so I saw an ophthalmologist for a second opinion and he found nothing and sent me to a neurologist. The neurologist found nothing wrong after doing a bunch of testing including MRI spinal tap EEG and a full neurological evaluation and then sent me to a neuro ophthalmologist. The neuro opthamologist found nothing wrong at all either. My doctor noticed some anemia and low iron levels and sent me to a hematologist. The hematologist could not figure out why I have low iron and anemia and is currently running more blood tests. I have just heard some information on celiac disease and I have found out that it does run in my family on my mom's side. I'm really unfamiliar with this condition but I have heard that it can lead to vision problems similar to what I'm dealing with.

Symptoms:

Blurry vision most of the time.

Cloudy vision, foggy.

Random spots in my vision that come and go.

Increased floaters.

If anybody has any input or advice I would be very happy to hear from you. Thank you in advance

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Eventually diagnosed as Coeliac three and a half years ago.  After4 days of no gluten I realised I could see!

Apart from the myriad of other symptoms I'd repeatedly gone for eye tests because I couldn't see properly. After just four days of a completely GF diet suddenly everything had definition and an outline. 

Gluten messes with your body in ways you just could never imagine and then trying to get an accurate diagnosis is a nightmare. I honestly believe if I'd gone on another few years it would have killed me.

Hope you get sorted soon. It does sound like you may be joining us.

Best wishes 

Lyn smile

• Posted

hello Lynn thank you for your reply I'm definitely going to try a gluten-free diet because I am honestly just out of options now. you are replies sounds very promising to me and I know gluten is something that is highly overlooked by doctors. Just until now I had no idea that gluten could mess with your vision like this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.