Gluten Challenge - What foods & what was your experience?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, thanks for reading. This is my first posting here!

I have recently started a gluten challenge before going for an endoscopy. I have today realised I need to up my gluten intake as I don't think I'm eating enough of it. I have two questions:

1. I have a dairy and soya allergy as well as lactose intolerance, which makes me very sick and does things like makes my heart go mad etc. I have read somewhere that you must be consuming all foods that you have cut out to do the challenge. Is this correct? Have you had to do that or just eat gluten foods?

2. So far my gastro (wind/pain) and balance problems haven't been anywhere near as bad as they were before I gave up gluten. I was expected them to come straight back, but they are still there, but manageable. I had problems for around 20 years. I gave up because doctors don't get enough time to go through things, went gluten free and then finally by a miracle had a doctors app this week and the doctor was so nice I couldn't believe it. He took one look at my notes, my symptoms and referred me there and there for an endoscopy. I only wished that had happened before when I was in constant pain.

I am wondered if this will gradually build or should I feel terrible when eating just a crumb? Or is it just different for everyone?

Thanks again for reading. x

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi I don't know if you would need to cut out dairy but you are meant to be eating at least 4 serves of gluten a day (equivalent to 4 slices of bread) for at least 6 weeks before a gastroscopy or endoscopy.

• Posted

hi wiggles, that's a tough one. have you got a dieitian? if so make sure they know what you're doing and ask what you could eat, if you have other intolerances. good luck to you, it's not easy but it's doable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.