Gluten free

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi lovely people..is everyone with hypothyroidism on a gluten free diet..want to try to go gluten free but can't afford the gluten free alternatives as they are usually 3 x the price of the stuff with gluten.. anyone got any solutions . Thanks in advance bev

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

No I haven’t. So far haven’t felt the need. But do try to eat as clean a diet as possible. They do say the alternative food is just as bad with what they add though. So I’d do a bit of research first. Other people who are gluten free may be able to give more info 

• Posted

HI Beverly, no need to siend a bundle on glutenfree specialty foods. If you must have grains, try rice, brown or white. I find natural white us easier on the gut.

Honestly, the gluten free foods lack the texture and yhe nutty, toasty flavor of wheat. I used gluten free products initually to wean off wheat, but really, they atent very good anyway. Gluten free (rice) pasta is readily available and inexpensive.

Stay away from processed foods snd you dont have to worry about hidden wheat additives. Make your own salad dressing- its very easy, once you get used to the idea. Instead of grains, replaced with yummy low starch root vegetables.

I order bread and sweets and have them mailed. I keep them on the freezer and they last easily for six months. I don't really eat them much anyway. Just have them around for guests and if I get a craving.

I’ve seen these crazy vegans make a turkey out of tofu. If you want turkey, have turkey. If you don’t want turkey, commit to it and make another choice!

• Posted

Like Catherine says, you don't need the alternatives. After a few months I didn't miss anything. Most GF replacement food is highly processed so best to avoid that anyway. I actually like watching others eat the food I can't eat!

• Posted

I'm the same and really resent paying money for gluten free alternatives! I do get the pasta but as Catherine mentioned rice noodles are good for stir fry. Maybe try eating rice, potato, sweet potato as alternatives? I've also heard there are now pastas available such as red lentil pasta (not tried it personally but there are options). I don't really have gf bread anymore because it often tastes dry and not worth the money you pay for it. Good luck with the gluten free diet!

• Posted

I'm on the gluten free diet but don't always go for the gluten free section. Just keep an eye on the ingredients and check for anything with wheat in it. Also some varieties and derivatives of wheat such as rye, barley and oats

If it's in bold, they've got gluten in them.

• Posted

Huggy’s right. You have to ask. If you do the research on GF. They say you really need to avoid cross contamination. So if you’re really gluten senditive and you’re dining out, you have to ask them to use s clean pan when they cook your food.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.