Gluten Intolerance?!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hii all...

i have many symptoms started 5 months ago !...

at the beginning start feeling dizziness then fatigue, pain all over the body (muscle pain), Muscle twitching, Skin rash,  can not gain weight, low appetite ,headaches,low concentration, brain fog,  weakness in arms and legs, low energy, Constipation/ diarrhea.

i had many investigations: Brain CT, Blood Tests, Neurological examinations, Brain MRI, ---> all are NORMAL - Except Vitamin D deficiency which is now corrected. and Low Lithium <0.1 (Normal value 0.6-2.5)/

then i started taking Multivitamins, Magnesium supplements and Vitamin D, ashwagandah, and after 3 months i started to feel better, some good days some bad days! but generally i feel much better. (No dizziness ,much less twitching, no tinnitus, No brain fog) still have some weakness and 

i started thinking about Celiac disease or gluten intolerance,,,, i had Blood Test for Celiac disease and Biopsy,,,, Blood test for celiac came Negative,,,, but the biopsy shows irregular, reduced Villi, and Increased Number of Lymphocytes. (1st and 2nd part of duodenum).

since 1 week i am eating Gluten-free. i feel much much better in the first 4 days ! 

but now since 2 days started again to have some weakness with little headache. 

with that results, can it be only Gluten intolerance? and how long i need to feel better?! or to clear Gluten from the body?

thank you in advance smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, It sounds like it could be Coeliac disease and once giving up gluten it can take a while before everything starts to feel normal again.  Also, when you first give up gluten you can experience some withdrawal symptoms, which can actually make you feel worse before you feel better.  It can depend on how long you have been ill before you get diagnosed on how long it takes to recover.

I had muscle weakness before I was diagnosed with Coeliac disease, along with malnutrition (even though I ate well), which is because the villi in the gut is damaged and you are not absorbing the nutrien6from your food.

Just remember, everyone’s symptoms are different. 

• Posted

thank you for the response

so it can be celiac despite negative blood test for celiac?

and yes i think i have malnutrition, and my intestine does not absorb the vitamins and minerals i am taking!... i have muscle twitching despite im taking magnesium glycinate since 2 months.. my b12 is 350, its in normal range but for meat eater like me i think its low!  and as i said before lithium is less than 0.1! and i can not gain weight ,,, im trying to eat much but my weight is fixed! 

• Posted

Yes, it can still be Coeliac disease with a negative blood test. Trouble is, you’ve already given up gluten, and to have an endoscopy you need to eat gluten every day for 6 weeks before having a biopsy.  You certainly seem to have some of the symptoms, especially the malnutrition/malabsorption problem - that only gets better once the gut is healed, (which is by going totally gluten free) which depends on how long you’ve had the disease before being diagnosed.  So if you’ve had it for a long time, it takes longer for the gut to fully heal. 
  • Posted

I became gluten intolerant a few years ago, I had no issues my whole life until I had a hernia surgery on my stomach a few years ago and after that I was getting sick, throwing up almost everytime I ate, tired, no energy, diarrhea, etc. I was like this for about a year and was very frustrating, I also had all kinds of blood work, and other tests done. I then talked to a family friend who's a DR and told me that you can become gluten intolerant of celiac when you have stress on your body like that, especially stomach surgeries, she then explained how it works and how my Villi were destroyed and needed time to heal. She gave me some natural supplements that worked a little, but for the most part I cut gluten out 100% and it seemed to work. Now almost 3 years later I am slowly able to start having some things again. I notice if its just something little like a sauce or dressing its ok, but if its bread, or something like that I get bad stomach aches so I will probably stay away from it still. Its very hard to change your diet when you have never had to before, and hard to stay away from processed foods, but it helps!  

• Posted

Hi

How long did it take to feel better after cutting gluten?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.