Gluten Intolerance?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I have had these symptoms for a while now and was just wondering if it could be linked to gluten.

It started with an odd feeling in my head, very hard to explain but it's similar to dizziness but not quite. This feeling is constantly there and some days gets more intense than others. Around the same time I had diarrhoea for a couple of days but that went away and haven't had it since however, my digestion just seems different to how it used to be, I don't pass wind nearly as much as I used to but can feel the gas in my belly although it's not painful it can be uncomfortable. Sometimes I do feel a little bloated but I'm guessing it's just the gas. Sorry if tmi but my stools are different too, they are now always little pebbles and I don't go as often.

I had my iron levels checked and it was slightly low but the doctor concluded it was because I'm not a big meat eater.

Any suggestions as to what this could be?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vanessa

The dizzy feeling you have explained is something i have had when i have mistakenly had gluten, I have CD. Is your blood pressure low ?

I have read that there are over 300 different symptoms of coeliac disease so its is hard to say whether it is your issue. It took me a long time to get a diagnosis, during that time I had various health issues which would come and go.

If you suspect that it is gluten causing you health problems then you can either stop eating it completely for a period of time to see if you feel better, or even better go to your GP and ask for a test, in order for the test to be accurate you need to carry on eating gluten so that your body produces the antibodies which someone with CD produces.

Hope this is helpful

• Posted

Dizziness is very common, as is migraine and brain fog. Gluten ataxia is a condition that affects the cerebellum and the only really reliable test (and treatment) is to try a very very strict gluten free diet for 6-12 months. You can have gluten ataxia without ever developing gut damage.

• Posted

Hi Vanessa,

I am comparatively new to Coeliac Disease as I was diagnosed last April just before my seventy first birthday.

I began with strange symptoms, dizziness, feeling "spaced out", and others, and when eventually hospitalised, I was diagnosed as having an auto immune problem called Postural Hypotension where Blood Pressure drops significantly upon standing.

Following this, I too had chronic bloating lasting for days, and a thoroughly upset digestive system. I have suffered all my life with constipation, but now my stools are rock hard pebbles as you mention.

It took nine months before I was finally diagnosed, with another auto immune condition (CD) during which time I lost over two stone in weight.

As tm62 writes, you have the two options. The test is an Endoscopy with biopsies.

Hope you don't have CD though, because fun it ain't!

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.