Gluten intolerance and chest pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have stopped eating gluten due to significant GI symptoms. I accidentally had gluten last night and I had chest pain and back pain that still persists somewhat today. This has happened to me before after eating gluten and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this? It is very stressful when it starts and it's hard to get comfortable. Almost feels like a gas bubble trapped in my upper left chest but it also radiates to my back. I have not been diagnosed with celiac (my GI tested me for it when I was 6 weeks gluten free which I understand doesn't provide accurate results) However, I have had many GI symptoms and started gluten free when they thought I had SIBO. Went on abx for that twice and felt better but apparently my SIBO test is also negative. Long story short I decided to stay gluten free because I now have more good days then bad. Last night was the worst I have felt in a while and a little scary. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi laura, i saw your post and thought what you said warranted a response. are you sure you are just intolerant? could be coeliac in fact. chest pan and panic type symptoms. i wonder if gluten is making your chest hurt, do you get worried about it? that might explain your symptoms. i hope you work out what it is.

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I am going to a different GI in April to reassess. It is stressful when I get the chest pain and was thinking it might be triggered when I eat gluten. I normally stay away from it entirely. It's frustrating not to have a diagnosis and to continually have symptoms..

• Posted

good luck to you, hopefully you should get the support you need. you just need to know what you're dealing with.

• Edited

Hi I also get upper back pain when I accidentally eat gluten almost within an hour of having it, I also have a small bit of difficulty breathing when this happens. just wondering if your symptoms are similar?

• Posted

I know this was posted a while ago but I'm experiencing this now and this is the most relatable post I've found. I got a pain in my upper chest, radiating to my back and neck area. It hurts more when I move or breathe in. I went to urgent care and got an EKG and chest x-ray, both normal. I cut out wheat products and haven't gotten it since. A few weeks later, I ate pasta and immediately afterward the feeling returned. I can't understand what could be happening to cause the pain, but it seems to be related.

• Posted

what was this episode like? this sounds like a possible gastritis flare up, i will explain if you explain what happened.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.