Gluten/wheat intolerance

Posted , 6 users are following.

Once finding out I have a gluten intolerance, I've cut it out. I've not had gluten since Thursday. But since yesterday, I've been feeling very tired, and have not got a headache. Is this normal when coming off wheat? How long does it take to go away?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am not intolerant but  feel bloated so took myself off all cereal accept oats. I did feel like you for a few days but it passed. Withdrawal symptoms I guess as any dietry change feels much the same. I was intending to do it to lose weight and it has worked a dream, the first diet where  I have not felt hungry!  Make sure you replace the wheat loss with other cereals especially early intheday. I also make sure I have plenty of protein and good fats as that helps you to feel full. Say oats for brekky, fruit smoothies from the carbonic of view Are good.

good fats only needbe eaten in small quantity at each meal. Say a teaspoon of coconut oil in porridge or a tb so seeds, half avocado on salad midday and a drizzle olive oil or nuts at night. I don't  think about bread or other wheat at all now after three months and feel so well it has been more than worth it. Good luck 

• Posted

Hi friend, you say gluten intolerance but mention coming off wheat at the end of your question. Is it an allergy to wheat or is it something much more serious like Coeliac Disease? CD is affected by gluten and that is in almost all of our processed foods. Wheat is only one of the grains that contain gluten. 
  • Posted

mt wife is lactose and glyten intolirant.She told me when she had to stop when she was diagnosed she felt really ill for a month or so and only after the dip sis she start to feel better.She also says that there are these little hairs or whatnot that absorbes nutrition that gets damaged and needs to repair witch can take a little whle to.
  • Posted

Hi Lucy, 

Many people are unaware that there is a difference between Celiac disease and gluten intolerance.  Coeliac Disease is an autoimmune disorder that occurs in genetically predisposed people in which the immune system responds abnormally to gluten. There is so much of useful information in this article that you can read for further diagnosis and treatment.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi lucy, who said it was a gluten intolerance? How did you discover this? What tests did you have? You need to see if it's wheat gluten or something else. Then ask to see a dietitian, you must as cutting out big groups of food may probably make you more ill! Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.