Glycerin Suppository 4 days post op?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all.

The discomfort of not going to the toilet is driving me insane now. I'm drinking lots of water and taking lactulose and a glass of prune juice every day. Took a Ducolax tablet Saturday and nothing happened. Took another yesterday and still nothing. 

Have read online somewhere that it says do NOT take suppositories or enemas.

but I need some relief and am terrified of going, but thinking of just going for it.

i am passing some huge gloopy lumps of blood, thought it was wind going through me but its gloopy blood. Not clots, it's more fresh than clots, just very thick. Is this normal? Had hardly any discharge in hospital, it started last night.

As always, any help or advice greatly appreciated!

Lorraine

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Lorraine, having had a long term problem with constipation, I have found Macrogol works incredibly well.  In fact it worked so well for me that I reduced it to once a day rather than morning and evening and swapped it for Fibrogel for the morning, and that combination works, but before then I was on 7 Senna a night, and sometimes using Ducolax instead and getting all sorts of pain and problems.  Hope this might help.
  • Posted

Hi lorraine79212..

Hope all is well. I saw your post and thought may I can shed some light. I didn't see what type of procedure you've been through. As for your constipation....the only thing I can honestly say works is fiber supplements like metamucil and softeners like colace or dulcolax. If you are bleeding and had surgery seek medical advice please. Dont get anxious about not going. Your body will do it on its one I have come to realize. It is uncomfortable...but straining does not help either. Drink hot tea sit in the JOHN and read a book....just relax as much as possible....it works for me. Good luck....lots of water....

• Posted

Thanks guys for the replies. I inserted a suppository 45 mins ago and no feeling yet to go to the toilet. To be honest, I don't even think I am constipated. I'm just terrified I will get constipated. My surgery was last Thursday (vaginal vault suspension and rectocele repair) and due to nerves I went to the toilet loads before the op on Thurs morning. 

I haven't eaten masses of food since surgery, but I have eaten some so there should be some stuff to pass! 

I have read how important it is not to get constipated so I just want the first bowel movement to happen.

i am very sore and uncomfortable down below and in my backside, but I dont know if this is the general surgery hurting or the fact that I need a BM.

im still drinking the water and lactulose and prune juice. May be I need to wait a bit longer and be more patient....

• Posted

Lorraine, I do remember being told that when I had my surgery it was possible that the bowel got touched and if that happens it makes it switch off for a while so you won't want to go.  I'm not sure the effect would last that long though, or even if that could have happened with yours.  I am wondering if being sore is what's stopping you.  After all, it would put most of us off!  Hope it's sorted soon though, just to reassure you:-))))
  • Posted

Thanks Chris. I've come home with a catheter in place as my bladder has switched off. I hope my bowel hasn't switched off too! I am honestly shocked at how this surgery has affected me. Once I knew I was having the op, I joined a gym and lost a stone. I wanted to be in the best shape I could be. I am 45 and so much fitter than I was 6 months ago. But this has knocked me for 6!! 

I didn't expect that I would feel right straight away but I really thought I'd be better than I am! 

So positive thoughts, my bowel will work when it's ready, and I need to stop stressing and chill more!

Thanks for listening. This site is fab.

• Posted

Lorraine, this is just a thought, but could you contact the ward where your op was done and ask the staff on there to just check it out with the doctor?  I'm wondering if this might help you relax and then everything might just function as it should:-))))
  • Posted

Hi Lorraine,

I am 71 and had a hysterectomy with anterior and posterior repairs on July 3rd.

I think you will find that most of us have had similar issues and the one common thread is the dreaded constipation.  My doctor told me to take up to 3 stool softeners a day - in Canada it's called colace.  Also the doctor approved taking a mild laxative - in Canada called Senokot for a few days until my bowels moved..  It took two days but once it started, I was told to very slowly decrease dosage.  It improved on a WEEKLy basis for the first 6 weeks but I am still taking two colace daily.

I have had other issues which has seen me visiting my surgeon 3 times post surgery including blood in the urine.  None turned out to be serious - mercifully.

I think all our main beefs is they never tell us what might happen post surgery - they are concerned we will get all possible problems if they tell us.  I suppose some might but if not for this site, I would not have known that I was not alone.  Of course most of these things happen to us at night or on weekends.!

Not everyone has problems but it's great to share - especially right after surgery.  This site allowed me to keep my sanity.

Hope all goes wel for you and keep in touch.  Most of us have been there, done that and want to "pay back" the encouragement we received post surgery.

Nickie

• Posted

Hi Lorraine,I have not had op yet but ladies I speak to on another site have had similar problems and they have been back to dr who prescribe a suppository!but I wouldn't worry too much yet unless you're in pain and as someone has mentioned the bowels do stop working for a while so try not to worry and if it becomes painful go and see your GP Alison
  • Posted

You may be OK by the time you read this but do you have a low step stool you can put your feet on so you can bring your knees up when you are on the loo?. This has been a good tip for other ladies who have had this procedure. Your bowel may be recovering from being pushed around and naturally you are a bit uptight about having that first poo but just relax and it wont be too bad. Eat normally so your bowel can behave normally. Lots to drink as well.  Try fig biscuits with a cup of tea, or even a fresh fig,but only one.  
  • Posted

Hi Lorraine sorry to hear of your discomfort. I would suggest wholemeal bread green veggies porridge with sliced banana plenty of fibre/roughage. Water and lots of it. It will get better just relax if possible. :-D
    • Posted

I would avoid bananas. They are known to cause constipation!
  • Posted

Thanks everyone I have been to the toilet!!! 

Wasnt as as bad as I had feared, I did not need to strain or bear down. I didn't go lots but the first one is done!

Still have this really awful pain right in my backside though, and I think it's more to do with the sacrospinous fixation surgery than anything else. I have read on here that the pain can last months! My surgeon said I would feel pain in my buttock for about 4 days. I am 5 days post op now and it's worse this morning!

However I do know, every day I must be getting that little bit better. My catheter comes out Thursday so not long to wait for that.

Onwards and upwards!

• Posted

Excellent news Lorraine!   I hope your pain eases as soon as possible too.  Did they give you painkillers?  It's going to be SO good when that catheter comes out.  I know your spirits will be lifted then!:-)
    • Posted

Hi Lorraine,

Great to hear.  This is the only forum I know of where we are all overjoyed at someone else's bowel movements!  But great stuff.  I agree that once your catheter is out, you will start feeling more like "yourself" again.  I had a pain in my rear end for quite a while - I got to be an expert at sitting one "cheek" to the other - but it got better each day.  The key as I think you will have heard until you want to scream is to rest as much as you can, exercise as much as you are told to, and NOT lift anything more than 10 lbs for 6 weeks.  I too believe we have all become so rushed in our lives these days that taking things slowly is not in the way our brains are wired anymore. But having said all that, 11 weeks post surgery, I would not go back to the way I felt before the surgery for all the tea in China.  It's great.

Take care, feel better, and keep us posted.

Nickie

• Posted

Yes I came home with strong painkillers from the hospital but they run out later today. I will be on normal paracetamol later, so I hope they work!

• Posted

I would think they would but I remember being told to take Ibuprofen as well straight after surgery because it reduced inflammation?  So if there still in inflammation it might be worth asking about that.  But hopefully you'll be absolutely fine now and the pain in the backside will go before too long:-)  We all have different pain levels and some notice pain much more than others.  When I had my hysterectomy a prolapse repair the only pain I really felt was the wind from the laparoscopy!  And that was only for a day!  But I've got a high pain threshold, so hopefully you will too:-)))))  This is no reflection on anyone - it's a physical thing, not a mental thing - my nerves are just a 'bit thick' LOL!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.