Glycerol Injection

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there, has anyone had the Glycerol Injection? Just wondering your thoughts!!! Friend has been booked in for one. However, he suffers from anxiety etc, quite badly at times. Could you please describe the procedure for me, briefly! Success rate? Thanx for your help, wonderful forum,

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Does she have typical or atypical tn? I think success rate for typical and atypical is different. I have been thinking about it also, but I'm scared to try.

Does she have anxiety because of tn?

• Posted

Hi, sorry had computer problems the last few days! He is classic with the TN. No, he has suffered for many years with anxiety! Is fine 95% of the time, but when it hits he cannot think logically at all, it all overwhelms him completely!
  • Posted

I had it done in 2013. A needle is inserted through your cheek into your jaw. Glycerol is injected onto/into your trigeminal nerve in hopes of damaging it. The idea is that by damaging it, the pain will decrease or go away. It's about as simple a procedure as it gets. It is NOT done under general anesthesia either. You're kept in a waken state so that they can move your head. I remember nothing of mine and my doctor told me he had to give me more anesthesia than anyone he has ever worked on. Your friend has nothing to worry about.

I don't know the success rate off hand, but It's fairly successful. It was a bust for me personally. I experienced about a week of no pain and it came roaring back shortly thereafter.

• Posted

Hmm ok, sorry it didn't work for you! Have you tried anything else that has helped? This is such a mongrel of a thing!

• Posted

I did the Gamma knife about 8 months after this and it worked for 2, maybe 3 months. I had MVD done in June of this year and have been pain free since.
    • Posted

Great news Colin! Yeah my friend realises that MVD is probably the way to go eventually! It's the fear of hopsitals, plus the anxiety that puts him off. Is also a heavy smoker, but really really wants to quit, but very hard to do with the stress of TN. But he knows that will help too! thanx

Tracy

• Posted

Had glycerol injection done 5 days ago. Was awake for it!!! Remembers everything!!! 5 days later still no relief!!! Heard it can take up to 6 weeks to take effect! Here's hoping!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.