GNRH AGONST INJECTION

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone had this for their fibroids? Getting a hysterectomy x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had this right before my myomectomy. I really felt the effects - the side effects give you hot flushes (i had never had a hot flush before that, but after that i knew full well!!!) and possibly mood swings. It was effective in reducing the fibroids, from around 8cm at the largest to 4cm. I was on the injections for 3 months.
    • Posted

Hi missy, I had the injection 9 days ago but haven’t noticed anything different. I have been sweating more but it’s very hot. I just wondered when your side effects started? X
    • Posted

Ok did your bleeding stop quick? It’s the bleeding I can’t stand really getting me down x
    • Posted

Hi there

The fibroids I had were not causing excessive bleeding so the reason I had the injection were to reduce the fibroids ahead of surgery. I have not had any issues with bleeding previously, my periods did stop after about 1 month of gnrh. I was not on zoladex I was on gonapetyl I think.

Cheers x

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

I had the injection last Tuesday so 9 days ago. So far I haven’t noticed any side effects. My fibroid is subserosal 18x13x11cm. They say that symptoms may get worse before improving due to the body resisting the drug and releasing a surge of oestrogen. I may have had that in the past few days as my belly felt tender and large. I am currently on antibiotics though because my white cell count is raised and dr suspects I may have an infection in the fibroid because we aren’t sure whether it’s been spontaneously degenerating over the past couple of weeks. Unrelated to the zoladex though. Let me know if there’s anything i can help you with xx

• Posted

Hi Jennn,

I had embolisation last September got antibiotics today although my blood test is normal but having a really heavy bleed and wearing me down. I keep wondering if my fibroid is degenerating though as been feeling sore and wondering if this is causing the bleeding. Did you bleed and how long for the injection to stop the bleeding x

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

I get a regular period every month because my fibroid is attached to the outside of my womb. I tend to have difficulty bleeding because everything is in the wrong place so I pass clots but only when I sit on the toilet, sorry too much info. I usually take aspirin to help me bleed. I am hoping that the zoladex might stop my periods completely though till my myomectomy in September. 

I was pregnant last year and my fibroid went through a stage of degeneration, it was painful and my abdomen was swollen. Recently though I have had chills, fatigue, general weakness and I pass urine every 20-30 mins so something’s happening. My last scan was feb so it’s anyones guess. Hopefully the antiobiotics will help and the zoladex once it starts to take effect x

• Posted

Thanks jennn am hoping it stops the bleeding having to take a week of work as bleeding so much. So is the injection zoladex then? X
    • Posted

Hi Amanda,

The bleeding could get worse within the first two weeks but after that it should stop completely. In the UK they use zoladex so it will probably be that. It should provide some relief while you’re waiting for your op xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.