gnrh for gynae pain and fibroid

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi my gynae has decided on gnrh for me and I am to start in a couple of weeks. He said 3 months and if my pain does go i need a hysterectomy. If not then my pain is not gynae related. I have no idea whether its just one injection that lasts the 3 months, or monthly or what! I have been given no literature on this, have no idea of possible side effects, just that it will start menopause. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Tia x

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tia,

I started Zolodex 2 months ago now. It is a gnrh, similar to Lupron and was covered by my insurance. The side effects have been mild for the most part. Some headaches and bodyaches, but not too bad. I seem to be losing more hair, but they told me it isn't a problem per se. Some of the better medical sites have lists of possible side effects. Of course, I think the main one is start of bone density loss as with meniopause; however, a 3 month trial might not be too concerning.  The problem is when you stop it, the symptoms come back and fibroid grows again if it shrunk.

Zolodex is a once a month needle in the stomach; I believe Lupron is the same, although maybe they have more long lasting Lupron. 

Best wishes with your treatment.   Jamie 

• Posted

Thank you Jamie. I feel I have to try it to know if the pain I am in is to do with my fibroid. It is constant, so I eithr put up wth it or try this. If the pain goes then my next major decision is whether to have the hysterectomy. It has been smething I have been considering a few years now. Two of my gp's suggested to just get it done ages ago, so I agreed and went to see the consultant wo promptly talked me out if it cos I have RA and fibromyalgia. That was about 18 months ago.

thanks Jamie

• Posted

Hi there, I took Gonapeptyl GNRH was on it for 3 months from Apr-Jun last year. I had terrible hot flashes - that was the most annoying thing about it. Google Gonapeptyl and you will see the thread I started on this website.

I didnt like being on it, but I would do it all over again to get rid of fibroids.

• Posted

the fibroids reduced significantly!!!! I then went on to have surgery asap. The thing is though GRNHs reduced fibroids, when you come off them the fbds grow back very quickly.
    • Posted

Sorry i've just seen your response. I had open myomectomy
  • Posted

I had injections for 3 mths prior to a TAH & BSO for a latge fibroid.It was to help shrink the fibroid,make the surgery easier and to prevent hopefully having a blood transfusion.My consultant gave the 1st injection which was Zolodex.I had mild stomach ache within a couple of hrs but it didn't last long.My arm also had a heavy feeling within a couple of days.I had the other 2 injections at my surgery but they only had prostap which is the same thing.Altogether i had a few hot flushes but the worse thing is that about 2 weeks after my 2nd injection is that i still had a period but it was so heavy it was frightening.I had the op in April,all went well and i am now back to work part time for a few weeks

before i go back full time. Please have the injections.Anything is worth a try.If you want to ask me anything at all i am willing to give you as much advice as i can.

Luv

Teresa

xxx

• Posted

Hi Teresa, sorry I have only just seen this! I amglad everything eventually worked out for you. It is all rather scary! Consultants have been reluctant to do hysterectomy due to my bone and joint problems but if its the only thing then surely it must outweigh the risks. Well I am due to have first injection in two weeks. Guessing its monthly?

thanks for reply xx

• Posted

Hi Sandy,

Glad the message got approved.The injection is every 28 days rather than a calender month.If you have problems getting an appointment at your surgery explain what it is for as you have to have them as close to the 28 days as possible.

• Posted

Oh that was the one waiting to be moderated?, strange! Lol there was nothing even remotely dodgy there! I typed " p*ssed off " but properly and they changed it to this way but only took one minute to do it.

thanks again for advice xx

• Posted

Sorry Sandy

Hope my post gets the ok.It is so annoying when they moderate things when you haven't said anything wrong.

• Posted

HI Sandy, I have just read your post, after you replied to my post about Esmya.   I haven't started with Esmya yet, as I am waiting for the first day of my cycle.  I was just trying to avoid the hot flushes and vaginal dryness I got with Zoladex. Although I have read here about people having secondary effects with Esmya too...  
    • Posted

hi and thanks for reply. I already get menopause symptoms, sweats, flushes and vaginal dryness, no sex drive etc, so if they are all the main side effects I guess I have nothing to lose! Really wish I could get this head sweating under control though. I wake feeling like things are running through my hair and its sweat trickling through! Its horrible but its not just at night either. I have been telling docs for about two years about this and they have offered nothing as my blood tests have shown that I am not perimenopausal, also two consultants said I was?! One was a gynae over a year ago, the other was endo something cant remember, not under them now. 

Good luck with yours xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.