Goin to have Rezum procedure

Posted , 9 users are following.

As I posted on here last week, I scheduled a Rezum for October 23rd, then found this website the same day and since then I’v had second thoughts about doing it, but today after walking around with a half full bladder, distended as if I’m pregnant and peeing constantly I’m  probably going to go ahead and do it.  I’m sure It’s not get any better which I hate to admit.   

I’ve had BPH for years and it was tolerable until May of this year when I got persistent prostatitis.  Since then my bladder does not empty, I’m peeing small amounts constantly and I’m not getting much sleep.  It’s been miserable.  I have median lobe involvement and a 79 cc prostate so the doc told me he would more than likely have to give me 10 injections

If you don’t mind I have some questions for those of you who have had the procedure or have  knowledge of it.   It will be done under general anesthesia, thank God,  so I’m thinking about asking the doc to go ahead and put in foley cath in while i’m under ( he may do it with out asking) then when I get home I can at least get some sleep for several days and not worry about having to go to the ER to be cathed while I’m awake which scares me to death.  Of course after they take the cath out I still might have problems peeing.  I’m sure being cathed after the procedure and you are sore, while awake is probably is not fun.  Tell me where I’m going wrong here.  

​Next I’m wondering about pain meds.  Should I ask for something stronger than over the counter meds.  And burning when I pee is there something he can give me for that.  I guess what I want to find out is what should I ask him for before I leave the hospital so I don’t wake up in the middle of the night with problems and wonder what to do.  I would like to be as prepared as possible.  I would love any advice you all can give me to make this at least a little more tolerable.  Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, Gary. I had the Rezum procedure done 18 months ago when I was 61. I had seven injections (3 left, 1 center, 3 right) in my 54 gm prostate. I had the procedure awake (it hurt) to try to avoid the Foley. I had a Foley a few months before my Rezum when I was put out to have bladder stones removed. Did not like the Foley at all!

As it turned out, I failed the "test" and could not urinate within a half hour after the Rezum. However, I was given the choice to have a Foley or to self-cath. I choose the latter and the doctor showed me how to self-cath in the office. After going home, I had to self-cath once before bed and that was it. It was not easy to void natually after this, but I could void enough to not have to self-cath again. (Not that it was bad, but I don't think I was very good at it.)

Post procedure pain was surprisingly minimal. The only drug I took was 800 mg Ibuprofen, although I was given some stronger stuff just in case. The Ibuprofen seemed to help the swelling.

I was back to normal activities two days after the procedure. I had to stick close to the bathrooms since frequency and urgency were issues for maybe a month. There was also pain in the urethra near the penis tip for maybe two months, on and off. Nothing that required drugs, just annoying.

I delayed sex for 3 weeks after the procedure although the doctor only said 3 days. I was nervous about rushing things. The first few times were disappointing, but things gradually got back to 100% of the pre-procedure pleasure level about 50 days after the procedure.

My IPSS was over 20 before Rezum; now it is less than 10. I know I'm not 100% normal, but close enough for now.

I hope and suspect that all will go well for you.

Bill

• Posted

Congratulations Bill! it's good to hear a success story. Hank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.