Going abroad with copd need advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi to you all my father suffers copd and we are going on holiday to Portugal in September he dose not use oxygen as he has it under control, but he needs it for the flight only, can anyone advice me the best insurance company, and do they need to know he needs the oxygen only for the flight, he has been advised to tell the airline and this is what we will be doing, any advice would be grateful.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carmen, glad to here about your holiday, my physio told me the british lung foundation is excellent at providing travel insurance.  I have not tried them myself but would be worth a try, hope all goes well.
  • Posted

If you are in the UK, I would suggest you telephone the British Lung Foundation helpline.  Just paste into your browser 

British Lung Foundation UK

that will bring up the website blf . org etc click on the link and you will see Helpline info top of page.  They have a least of insurers and will be able to advise you of procedure.

Enjoy your holiday.

• Posted

they have a list of insurers, that should read.
  • Posted

Hello Carmen

I went to Canada last year and I use oxygen had to have it for flight to,  I unfortunately only found 1 company that would insure me and they were very expensive but had no choice, the minute you mention oxygen thats it.  If you find a reasonably priced one would love to know.  Sorry I could not be more positive for you, wish you all the best.

• Posted

Hi Carmen

My dad needed oxygen for his flights to Australia. Copd among other conditions, he struggled with insurance but I believe BUPA where the cheapest. As for the oxygen I'm not sure who provided it but I know it was free! Maybe speak with your GP and they can point you in the right direction

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.