going against doctors order?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,  has anyone ever experienced where your endo or GP has said that your thyroid results are in normal range but you feel hyper and have all the symptoms of hyper? I have Graves’ disease and have been on block and replace for 1 year and still feel hyper.  My endo says I should stay at 125mg of thyroxine but I feel like coming down to 100mg to see what happens.  Has anyone felt better lowering a dose even though it’s was against doctors orders? 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi James

To my knowledge the Block and Replace method is only being used in your country.  I have never heard of anyone using that method in the Western world.  I have also seen when I first came on this Board that some people who were on it still didn't feel well.  In my case, I have Graves disease and while my Free T3 & T4 normalized, my TSH would not move.  So I found out about supplements and I got tested for each particular value before I started taking the various supplements.  I was deficient in Total Carnitine and Free Carnitine, I was deficient in Vitamin D (very important vitamin for good thyroid functioning) and I was low in Magnesium.  I would like to get all my vitamins, minerals and amino acids tested some day.  It makes sense that people who have run hyperthyroid would lose a lot of vitamins, minerals and amino acids from their bodies and replacing them helps with recovery, at least it sure did in my case and other cases that have posted here.

• Posted

Hi Linda, thanks for you reply.  I will look into this and fingers crossed it will help me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.