Going against the 'grain'? Not me!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, fellow diverticularians(?),

I'm 56, male, and was diagnosed by colonoscopy in 2012 after having a number of years of 'management' issues (or lack of,) for what was provisionally labelled "a touch of IBS" by my GP. I have to say that I have never been hospitalised - or even medicated - due to a 'flare-up' ....yet!

I don't think it's just good luck. It might be that the amount of pocketing is minimal - or that the proximate cause of my problem is (as yet, undiagnosed) intractable colon, but I can only share again what has kept me from darkening GP doorways and A&E trolley queues. The word is Bisacodyl. It seems to send some screaming in fits, muttering, "last resort" and "you don't want to rely on that!" kinds of sage-like 'wisdom'.  But the evidence is that I only feel mildly uncomfortable every week-to-ten-days, prior to medication/evacuation by a single 5 mg pellet.  The reason?  Because pockets will fill up with whatever they will - seeds, porridge, cellulose, fat - and it will embed and ultimately rot!  As I have said before - and in light of so much suffering by posters here who carry on holding onto rotting matter for months - I must pose the question, "what is so wrong with total evacuation every 7-10 days?"  No rotting residues, minimal discomfort on a predictable basis with just the need to keep 'local' for one day after a night time dose?  No more antibiotics - and a great feeling of levity when all has passed!  Sounds almost good?

There are no foods I can't eat - because seeds or no, all residues will be discharged before they decompose.  I figure that to medicate more frequently than 7-to-10 days is to risk loss of nutrients from foods eaten.  I've stayed within my 10 year weight range of 14 to 14.5 stones using this strategy. 

Bisacodyl is a stimulant laxative.  I use it sparingly in this way and my bowel is still mine - in terms of sensation and knowing when it needs to 'go' over the 6-to-9 days after medication - before everything stops again. 

I suggest it's a reasonable trade-off:  Long-term use of stimulant laxatives vs. 3-monthly admissions  .... ?  'No-brainer'?

See your GP and discuss.

Cheers,

Pete.

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

CC   Now you see there is some good input here, Jac.  I don't know about porridge without milk , Pete.  My record does appear pretty good in line with yours (after 30 years) without your Bisocodyl but I am mindful to try it out when I do have a problem.

I assume it's a prescribed drug and therefore a visit to my GP? I don't have antibiotics but eat almost everthing although there are things (onions in particular) which I find hard to tolerate.

What annoys me so much is the dismissiveness that you receive (yes, you and millions of others) when mentioning this awful and often debilitating disease.  I suffer more from wind (farting, I don't use euphanisms) which, more than anything, I wish I could be cured of. (Jac will add a comment here)

Jon

• Posted

Give me strength Jon   Pete has enough bad habits without the farting 

input. or should that be output ?

Thought porage was a no-no ?

• Posted

Forgive me Jac, but if my "bad habits" keep me out of pain and hospital, then I'm a grateful sinner!  Conventional wisdom sometimes needs a kick?  I'm not sure if "porage" is the same thing, but oatmeal porridge - the rolled oat type, with bits in! - is a splendidly inert filler for diverticulae.  During 'reset', the evidence is that rolled oats reduce the volume of the nasty (really squitty, smelly!...) part of the delivery, possibly because they remain as both fibre and soluble fibre, whereas other stuff like meat-and-2-veg tend to remain more active in the pockets, perhaps?  

It strikes me that there is an unwillingness in some sufferers to accept that, 'sh** happens!'  The pockets will fill and empty by hook or by crook.  The only aim must be to avoid infection.  The only way to do that is to clean up before the toxins take over!   No-brainer?  Yes, the risk of gut motility reduction is a long term unknown to me, but I repeat -  I haven't been hospitalised yet. 

Maybe the way forward is abut more radical!

Cheers,

Pete.

• Posted

No Jac.  Porridge is OK for me -with milk (and sugar).  Perhaps that is the main cause of farting, do you think?  I'll speak to Joe Sainsbury whose porridge we buy but not whose store I can fart the length of - that's Waitrose.

Apropos of nothing really but, did you know that a Swedish study proved that woman who drank full-cream milk (ie blue plastic topped stuff - non doorstep), are 70% less likely to develop breast cancer than those who drink semi-skimmed or skimmed

• Posted

Yup! Jon.  I'd like to be cured of euphemisms too.  Very disabling in some social outings!...

Oh!.....

Yes Bisacodyl is a prescription drug generic name.  It's more commonly known as 'Dulcolax', which might be over-the-counter in low doses, not sure.  It's prescribed in boxes of 100, so they last a good long time in my scheme!   

Now it's interesting.  I associate onions (fried in butter and olive oil!...) as a good thing.  Not because they don't get stuck in pockets - because plainly they can - but because they help keep the rest of the gut moving!  'What's good for the goose....' might be a truism.  In my scheme, the residues of onions are not a specific problem (disclaimer: "for me!").  In fact, I positively like them!  - because they work on the majority throughput better than any other vegetable.  Sure they make you windy, but is that a bad thing, really?

Cheers,

Pete.  

• Posted

Why are you moving north? Only Blue Tits use top of the cream. 

Speaking of oats Porage-----------Porridge ????

Maybe that was the cause of Laura's explosions 

Might just try some , heaven forbid if I start !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Posted

O.K Pete   porridge ----- porage ------It is . I am out gunned . If 

Jon says it's good for your ""sole "" must be right 

By the way a little less description of the rejection  product would have 

been  nice Remember there are ladies in this forum.

Jac

• Posted

.... hmm,

I just tell it how it is......

...... farts and all!

Pete.

PS Not knowingly sexist, btw!

• Posted

Thanks, Pete. I will speak to my GP - he's a friend and he won't be dismissive.

The onions. I Iove them - fried in butter (will try with olive oil ) are delicious but they do make my gut ache with wind.

No, it's not a bad thing but becase I am excessive farter it can become socially unacceptable.

Perhaps I should emulate Le Petomane.  He could fart 'God Save the Queen'  - and did (at least for her son if not her).  Help supplement my huge C.S pension.  Jon

• Posted

How clever to play on my trus piece of Swedish research.  I might have said Tits but I am far too shy.

Do try porridge (or porage if you have to forage for it). I reccomend using milk.  Pete must be a Scot. I know that a Scots friend/colleague during one overseas posting was amazed that I didn't use water and salt.  Your friend and co-founder of Divi Diners. Jon (aged 14 and 3/4)

• Posted

"Och!  Noooo!" .....

"La'rndun, 'ere' " - or some such phonetic. :-)

I try to limit variables.  Milk is a huge variable and people can develop intolerances spontaneously with it.  I drink it, but it doesn't have to go everything!  But the water-based porridge, sweetened with creamed honey (certainly don't need any more salt, either!.... ) is readily guzzleable.  Plenty of taste from the things I have on-the-side!

I like creamed honey because of the therapeutic benfits of beeswax.  Great in external poultices and similarly useful internally too, I reckon.

Cheers,

Pete.

PS Jon, I hope you aren't one of those militant minors! :-)

• Posted

Pete.  I am thick. Wat is the reference to miltant minors.

Incidentally, I have seen a note from the Moderator on this forum saying that naything 'uncomfortable'  should be in the private message slot.  Not  sure where to find it. I want to ask you something. Do you or Jac know.

• Posted

Sorry Jon,

Your last signed off with ..."aged 14 3/4" - hence the 'minor' assignation of mine - otherwise just a play on the miners' heyday (no offence intended).

I haven't seen such caution.  But then, having been legally blind for close to 20 years, I often miss such autocratic 'guidelins'!

Pete.

Blindness is my lot - DD is my hobby-horse? :-(

• Posted

Jac, you know when the Moderator say (if likely to offend) it should go under private messaging - where does one find it?

Jon 

• Posted

Alan.  Thank you very much.  I just wanted to exchange some very personal things with another cntributor.

I don't know how I became so involved with an Indian young man called Amil (Penis problem) but he is in desperate need of advice which he tells me he can't get in remote India.  He's sounds suicidal.  Is there any help that can be given to him?

Jon

• Posted

Hi Jon,

We cannot get involved in specific discussions nor can we locate users or give email addresses out or contact users this way as it breaches the T&Cs. All I can suggest is wait for a reply or you can send him a PM but I would be very wary of giving any personal details in any message like your email address. I am not saying he is not genuine but the problem with forums such as these is we cannot always tell genuine users from possible trolls or scammers so care needs to be taken. If we see an obviously spamming user then we do deactivate accounts/delete posts but also rely on users reporting them to us. 

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Alan.  Thank you. Of course, I do realise that you cannot be involved.

He just seems so desperate (his limited English didn't help) and as a former Counsellor (not in matters sexual, I add), I just felt that I ought to put him in touch with an organisation that might help him.

I became too involved, I think.

Thanks, Alan.

• Posted

Hi Alan

I am getting endless, endless posts 'advertising' what I think (because it's from India) a Call Girl Service.

Can ou stop these, please.  I don't want to receive  any more.  I vae reported some and also replied to the ender saying that I would report to you.

with thanks. John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.