Going Back

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I have been on HRT for 15 years (early menopause).  Lots of hype, etc from GP who said they would not prescribe it any more.  I came off it (not in the best way) 2 years ago.  It has been the worst two years in respect of symptoms. I have about 8 heavy flushes a night, I have not had a night's sleep. During the day I am having about 20 flushes. They are almost constant and severe.  So I went back to the GP and said I cannot go on like this.  My health is suffering, not to mention the palpitations when I am having a flush.  (I think I had 2-3 whilst talking to him). My heart rate shoots up from 76 t0 anywhere between 101 - 147 bpm.   Anyway, he has agreed to me going back onto HRT. 

First few weeks in and I am having second thoughts.  The flushes, etc are all still as bad but now I have swollen, lumpy, sore breasts and I am worried as I can't seem to read anything that puts my mind at rest about being on it.  I've tried all the alterative remedies, to no avail.  I would just welcome people's thoughts and shared experiences please?  Thank you x

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tingtong,

Are you taking the same exact dose as what you had taking before?  The hot flushes should have subsided if you are.  Maybe it will take some time for your body to readjust since you have been off it for 2 years. I know all about the racing heart, uggh!  My breasts have swelled and have been so sore periodically, generally when I have decreased my dosage.  It is the fluctuation of the estrogen hormone that will cause this.  It just sounds to me that your body is still adjusting to your hormone levels, our bodies still produce estrogen so that is also something to consider.  Speak to your doctor if you are concerned.  Hang in there and give it some time for you to feel better.  Check the dosage, see if it is the same as before.  Good luck to you.

• Posted

Thank you.  I had a test and my oestrogen was < 0 .  i have go not a drop of oestrogen!  i've got an appointment in 3 weeks with him as my bp has gone up (always used to be 120/70 before i gave up hrt the first time).  i just wished i'd have stayed on it full stop.  yes, i am taking exactly the same tablets as before called kliovance. often people laugh at the flushes, but if it was just the heat i could cope, but as you say its the banging heart, the feelings beforehand of feeling sick and unwell, then pain in where-ever there is a collection of blood (eg: (sorry) but nipples, etc and they hurt??).  does anyone else get this?  oh, and an unquenchable thirst.  0="" . ="" i="" have="" go="" not="" a="" drop="" of="" oestrogen! ="" i've="" got="" an="" appointment="" in="" 3="" weeks="" with="" him="" as="" my="" bp="" has="" gone="" up="" (always="" used="" to="" be="" 120/70="" before="" i="" gave="" up="" hrt="" the="" first="" time). ="" i="" just="" wished="" i'd="" have="" stayed="" on="" it="" full="" stop. ="" yes,="" i="" am="" taking="" exactly="" the="" same="" tablets="" as="" before="" called="" kliovance.="" often="" people="" laugh="" at="" the="" flushes,="" but="" if="" it="" was="" just="" the="" heat="" i="" could="" cope,="" but="" as="" you="" say="" its="" the="" banging="" heart,="" the="" feelings="" beforehand="" of="" feeling="" sick="" and="" unwell,="" then="" pain="" in="" where-ever="" there="" is="" a="" collection="" of="" blood="" (eg:="" (sorry)="" but="" nipples,="" etc="" and="" they="" hurt??). ="" does="" anyone="" else="" get="" this? ="" oh,="" and="" an="" unquenchable="">
    • Posted

I really think your body has to get back to where it was 2 years ago when you were on it.  I think 2 years off is a long time and you will feel better it will just take some more time.  Don't worry, your breasts are sore and hurting from the hormone, that will stop too.  I have had all of what you are saying and then some.... anxiety, depression! Uggh! High Blood Pressure too!  I take medicine for that now as well, also for my heart rate.  How long have you been back on the HRT?
    • Posted

Thank you for your response. So kind of your to do so. I've only been back on it for two weeks so it's,really early days but I really thought it would return almost immediately. I can see I've been a,little,rash, but I didn't have this first time round. I've never had sore breasts before. I suppose I have to be patient.
    • Posted

Yes I think it's too early yet, you will feel better give it some time, don't be discouraged.  I had to stop it briefly just a week or so and it took awhile to kick back in.  Takes awhile to get out of your system, will take awhile to get back in.  Let me know how your doing.  I sure do understand how horrible you are feeling, but don't worry about your breasts, really I still get sore sometimes and sharp pinching like pain, lasts a couple of days sometimes, than goes away.  Hugs!
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your support. it really has been lovely of you. Thank you. Yes, I will. Thank you
  • Posted

I have been on Bio-identical hormones for 19 years...except for one whole (horrible) year off, and numerous attempts to taper. I take a. Ery low dose prescribed by a doctor who believes in hormone therapy for women. I would think it might take a while for the hormones to work. I have friends who take hormones who are my age (69)....some take the ines made by the pharmacuetical companies and approved by most doctors. The bio-identical hormones tend to have fewer side effects because of the makeup of the progesterone. I would suggest you fnd a doctor who will prescribe the bio-identical hormones. The difference is night and day. Without the hormones I have hot flashes, insomnia, migraines, nghtmares, etc, etc. you need a doctor who can support you in your search for relief. No studies have been done on the bio-identical hormones...all the bad studies are from the Premarin hormone days. It is impossible to function when your hormones are out of balance. Have your thyroid checked too. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you. Are these available on nhs? Do they have a name? That sounds a much better option. Iveould like to try them. Thank you for your help.
    • Posted

Yikes...I dont know what nhs is!...I am in Colorado, USA. These hormones are "compounded" at certain pharmacies according to the doctors prescription....indivdual for each person, based on your hormone levels.

Does that help?

• Posted

Ah, maybe the NHS (National Health Service) in UK do not give them out.  I doubt very much if our doctors would give us anything based on hormone levels.  Thank you anyway.  It certainly is something to aim towards. x
    • Posted

You could ask the NHS about the hormone patch....that works for sme people. A shame to suffer through without help! Best to you...
  • Posted

I TOO WAS FORCED OFF HRT.

FORTUNATELY I HAD QUITE A LOT OF PILLS LEFT AND I DID A WEAN OFF PROGRAMME

IE

AFTER GETTING STABLE ON 1 TABLET A DAY -I WENT ON HALF A TABLET PER DAY FOR AROUND A MONTH-THEN A QUARTER ETC

YOU ALONE CAN LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.

ASK YOUR DOC FOR A WEANING OFFTABLET PERIOD.

HOPE HE AGREES.

NOW THEY SAY H.R.T IS SAFE SO YOU MAY GET YOUR TABLETS.

WHY DOES A DOCTOR SUGEST A WEANING OFF PERIOD WHEN TRYING TO GET OFF THE PILL.

THEY DONT SEEM TO REALISE THE SYMTOMS WHICH ARE HELL THAT DOING COLD TURKEY IS WORSE THAN THE TABLET

ANYWAY YOU MIGHT BE LUCKY TO GET SOME AS THEY ????WHOEVER THEY ARE SAY IT IS NOW SAFE AFTER PUTTING MILLIONS OF WOMEN THROUGH HELL

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.