Going back on Citalopram

Posted , 6 users are following.

Three months ago i thought it would be a good idea to wean myself off cit as id been on it 5 years, gained weight, lost my sex drive and couldn't even remember the last time i felt 'excited' or elated about anything. My emotion were pretty much flat line... steady and non descript. My husband supported me and i weaned off over 4 weeks and two weeks after that i took on a new full time job, after being happily reclusive for the duration of my medication. Oh boy... a month later ive had to quit that job as I'm now experiencing the most intense bout of a\d ive ever had =( its all come back full force...relentless complete with intrusive and suicidal thoughts. I need to get back on my meds but as it stands i have a gross phobia of being sick and a fear of the side affects making me worse. I can't cope at the moment, cant get out to see a doctor either. I need some strength from somwhere... i can't believe i ever thought it would be ok coming off them =(

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You are experiencing withdrawal ..you came off too quickly ..it took me a year to reduce and even then  I still got withdrawal symptoms..they are beastly to get off.

you need advice...maybe try Mirtazapine as that does affect your sex drive and it's brilliant for anxiety ..going back on Citalopram would be a step backwards 

• Posted

Mirtazapine does NOT affect libido 
  • Posted

Yes I think 4 weeks isn't long enough to withdraw from this medication.  You might be having withdrawal effects.

Initially I reduced mine from 20mg to 10mg for a long time, and then reduced to 5mg and was quite well on that.

When I came off the meds I took over the counter natural serotonin instead.  Read a book called 5-HTP The Natural Way to Overcome Depression by Michael T Murray.  I took 5-HTP and l-tyrosine both bought over the counter, and both needed together.  This worked well for me for about a year but to unfortunately go back on Citalopram due to family illness and the stress was affecting me, and decided to restart them before I got into a state again, and I could feel myself slipping that way. I'm now reducing them again and want to go back on 5-HTP.

Maybe you came off them too soon?  I'd suggest restarting them and get settled back in them again, and when you're ready try a reduced dose for a while.  You might find that you can maintain your well being in just 5mg, or if you do come off altogether try the 5-HTP.

Try not to panic .... you'll be fine.  You've been through this before and you'll be fine again.  It's just withdrawl effects taking hold.

K xx

• Posted

Hi Soffie

I was very interested to read your posts this afternoon.  I've been Citalopram for more years than I can remember as part of my combo of meds for bipolar and it has never occured to me to come off them, although like you, I've gained weight and my emotions are flattened.  For me, and this is just my experience, my flattened emotions are a bonus, I never get angry any more, not even at other motorists who cut me up, I don't have a partner so lack of sex drive doesn't matter, and in a way, I find it liberating.  I think its different for each of us and your story confirmed me in my decision to stay on my meds.  I'm really sorry to hear of all the anxiety and depression you've been going though and I hope that things improve for you very soon

xxx

• Posted

Did you ever start the meds again? I have been off for 8 months and feel horrible. I'm wondering if going back on will help or hurt. Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.