Going Back On Zoloft

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had been on Zoloft for over four years. Because of weight gain I did a 10% taper and then went off in January. After four months of withdrawal the panic and anxiety returned and I decided to go back on. I have been back on 50 mg for six weeks. I have read almost all the posts about 'reinstatement' to alleviate withdrawal however I want to go back on for the benefits of the medication. I responded very well to Zoloft and regret going off. I am still experiencing some side minor WD/side effects like stomach issues, light headedness, disassociation/derealization, etc. I realize ever journey is different however...

Has anyone had success going off then back on?

Did it take longer the second time to work? How long feel the benefits?

Did you require a higher dose the second time?

Thanks!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

I went off sertraline almost a year ago but this April after some minor health issues, it came back with a vengeance, so I went back on 50 mg. The side effects after just one pill were so bad that i stopped and consulted with my doctor who advised me to go on a lower dose and increase it gradually. I did as advised but i still had very horrible side effects (nausea, poor appetite, weight loss, high anxiety, very intrusive thoughts, raving mind and heart, insomnia etc) but after few weeks on 50 mg I saw some improvements. I am on my 8th week and can say I have good days and bad days. yesterday was a great today, today is a different story (brain fog, bad mood, poor appetite).

Like you, I also wonder why this 2nd time on it is so much different. First time, 8 years ago, I really do not remember to have felt so horrible, but it could be because my anxiety was focused on a different obsession, although both times health anxiety, just different focus.

I am upping now to 100 mg as this would be the therapeutic dose for my OCD like symptoms but I am a little concerned about potential side effects.

I also hope to hear positive stories about successful stories of going back on sertraline.

• Posted

I came off last year then restarted in april, and the side effects are worse than i ever remember!!! I'm hanging in for the positive effects, but it's so hard! I'm so glad to have found this forum

• Posted

i came off sertraline last year in August after having been on it for 7 years (50 mg). this May I went back due to escalating anxiety but this time i had to start on a lower dose and increase it gradually due to extreme side effects. i am now on week 9, 4th day on 100 mg, and could say I feel better. Not 💯 back to normal but much better than few weeks ago. So, my assumption and experience is I had much worse side effects and needed a higher dose this time to see a difference. Hang in there, it'll get better!

• Posted

thank you anne, i had gone onto 75 but needed to come back down to 50 as side effects were so bad. On day 14 of 50mg and feeling that irrational, agitated way. Did you have that? I'm needing reassurance that this will pass and I'm not going crazy...

• Edited

Yes, I had experienced that, on and off the first 5-6 weeks. I seriously felt I was going crazy or that something is really wrong with me. It went away gradually and hope it won't come back. As I said, this 2nd time was terribly bad compared to the first time i started sertraline. I honestly thought my body does not respond to this medication anymore, but I kept reading reviews, joined support groups like this one and kept going. I felt hopeless at times but now I believe I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

• Posted

that's where i am right now. I didn't sleep a wink last night.

• Edited

I had really bad insomnia the first few weeks so instead of taking it at bedtime, I switched taking it after breakfast. It really helped and taking the meds in the morning did not necessarily make me sleepy or drowsy during the day. At bedtime I would also do some guided meditation (using meditation apps) and that helped improve my sleep too. Melatonin helps too , I took a small dose (2 mg) several times and slept like a baby. I try to exercise every day, basically spend time in the sun every day, as I was told this helps with anxiety. I believe it because when I decided I did not need the meds last year, I had been exercising regularly for several months (during the lock downs) and was in great place mentally. But then I had to return to work and did not have time to exercise outdoors regularly, winter came, stress at work, and so on, and back in the Spring I had the anxiety relapse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.