Going back to work

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have robotic surgery 6 weeks ago. I had my cervix, ovaries,fallopian tubes and uterus removed plus a bladder collapsed fixed. The uterus collapsed as well. My bladder was fixed using my own tissue.It wasn't as painful as I expected considering I had a pinched urethra and was having severe bladder issues. Plus I had 3 cysts and 3 tumors that were pre cancerous. I'm being told I have no choice but to go back to work tonight in fact. I don't have an easy job. I lift, push and pull heavy objects. I worry about standing all 8 hours working in the factory. But I have to work. I've been lucky and receiving short term disability checks. But I'm losing money. We had 2 floods during recovery in my basement adding to stress and I wasn't able to lift anything. I had to beg for help cleaning it up and everything else. Now I have no washer and dryer so using the laundry mat requires help. I'm now allowed to lift at 6 weeks so it might be easier now. I'm nervous and scared that I'm being pushed way too soon and something will collapse again. But I have no choice but to return or loose my job. Anyway i also have severe arthritis in my hands and feet and fibromyalgia that is very severe. I've had it for 24 years. Why do I work? I'm stubborn and can't make enough on disability to raise my kids. Yes I'm hurting but sometimes we just toughen up when there's no choice. Frankly I do feel these doctors don't listen to the patient or what's best for them. The 6 weeks is what's given I was told no matter what. If there are complications I guess you argue for more. Here's what I had so far. After the surgery I bleed pretty good. By week one this orange fluid began rushing and I mean rushing out like a heavy period it was soaking pads and gushing yet my doctor didn't that concerned. I went in for my one week checkup and he said I don't know what that is. I wasn't relieved by that response and very upset. Come to find out my auto immune was causing fluid to fill the empty space. Yes I was leaking lymphatic fluid mixed with red blood cells. After 2 weeks it slowed I'm still spotting but barely after 6 weeks. My vagina would get sudden stabbing pains I developed 2 uti infections. I had lumps in the scars and soreness. Wearing pants was hard. Even pajamas hurt if they had elastic. I had trouble going number 2 and still need 2 daily stool softners.sometimes I get severe pain with movements and vomit but that doesn't concern him either. So tonight I return to work. I hope all goes well please pray for me.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Where are you living? It certainly sounds like you are not nearly ready to return to work, especially to the type of work you describe. 

I think you need a second opinion regarding your post operative fitness, you don't want to risk reversing all the work you've had done. 

• Posted

You do not seem ready to go back to work!  I went back after three weeks and it was a little difficult but I didn't have any of the issues you are having!  Is there a way you can go to your general practitioner and get another opinion?  

• Posted

I agree with what Sheila has said, you really don't sound fit enough to go back to work, you risk making matters a whole lot worse and you could end up back in hospital, I am guessing that you are perhaps in the US? please see if you can see another Primary Care doctor quickly before you really hurt yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.