Going back to work after surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello!

I broke my lateral malleolus and 5th metal tarsal on February 13th. The metatarsal break is aligned and can be left alone to heal, but my malleolus needs surgery. That is scheduled this Thursday. I know everyone is different, but was wondering when people were able to go back to work after surgery. I have a knee scooter and am able to put my foot up to hip level while I work and even ice it. Curious when others made it back and what I should think is realistic. Thank you!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

it really depends on the job. my job requires me to stand for 12 hours at a time so Im not back yet to mine. broke my fibula late december and went for an ORIF. i plan on going in for the first time after about 2 weeks.

• Posted

I am lucky to have two jobs, one as a server and one at a school part time. Obviously as a server it will be a long time, but my school has been very accommodating. Thank you for the head's up on how long it has taken you to get back to a physical job. I wish you much luck!

• Posted

Left foot or right foot? This will dictate if and when you can drive. Factor in commute time which could be an hour each way for me with my foot not elevated. I can work at a desk for a few hours with my leg above my waist but it does get uncomfortable eventually. Luckily Im able to work from home, and it's my left foot.

Also, you'll probably be in a splint for 2 weeks which does not provide a lot of protection.

I'm almost 2 weeks post ORIF for fibula fracture. Hoping to go for a spin after I get my hard cast.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply! I have two jobs and one is out, but the other is at a school. They have been wonderful about helping me out and have been very accommodating. I probably will be out next week since my surgery is tomorrow and Spring Break is the following week, but nice to know that after that I can put in some hours if even for a few. Luckily it is my left foot and I should be in a boot by that time, so I should be able to drive myself by then. What was your pain level the few days after surgery for you? Any advice?

• Posted

I had a nerve block before surgery so I was completely numb (basically paralyzed) from below the knee. That lasted around 2 days so 3rd night I woke up with pain at a 9.

Best advise is rest and keep up on pain meds. I was off my Norco by around day 5 and only taking Advil every 4-6 hours. Even 1.5 weeks post op I can really tell if Ive overdone it and i need to get horizontal with the foot up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.