Going backwards

Posted , 6 users are following.

I wonder if anyone else feels this way. I am 7 weeks post tkr and

back driving short distances and not needing any crutches. I

thought things were improving but today I haven't done

anything different and by 2.00 this afternoon I felt like I had to

lie down and couldn't do anything. I managed to stay up until

9.00 but with a real struggle. Where does this tiredness come from I am sleeping better so should be feeling stronger. It's like saying don't get too clever I'll show you. X

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Your body is still trying to recover from a brutal experience. Surgery of any kind is a minimum 6 months healing and this one takes so much more than most because the healing and recovery takes so much effort on such a consistent basis. You still need much more rest than usual because a tired body just won't heal properly. The same holds true for additional fluids. Dehydrated tissue becomes tight and inflexible. Just because you feel a little bit better don't forget the basis. Continue to take meds as needed, rest, elevate,hydrate. As much as you can be tempted to push yourself, back it down a bit and you'll get your strength and energy back in due time.
  • Posted

Hi Joan

you are doing really well managing without crutches at 7 weeks...I couldn't have done.  I remember going to the shops...struggling to walk about half a mile and then not being able to bend my knee when I got back into the car...agony!

You will still feel very tired, there's a lot of concentration involved in everything we do, and there will be ups and downs.  I am still struggling with my second one at 8 months.

Don't be too downhearted though.  Your body is telling you it needs to rest.

Patsy

• Posted

Well Joan

Must be something in the air!

Can't believe your post, likewise I am 7 weeks nearly

Have started to try and do a little extra but not I feel so too much although went for a short car ride today as a passenger.

My problem by late afternoon is usually feeling both tired and noticeably cold.

I can only go to bed to relax and get warm, I do this because I feel this is what my body needs and hope this will pass when maybe I cut down on painkillers which I am still taking every 4 hours.

I don't sleep well so could also be an explanation.

Sue x

• Posted

Sound normal to me and today at 18 weeks I have had another setback - they seem to happen every 3 weeks. Physio says it is the leg protesting - and the brain suddenly thinking 'hang on, dont like this new knee!' but then settling again. Good way to look at it. And after a massage from her to day as it was so stiff I could feel how tight my muscles are. I later tried to massage myself and ended up bruised! She said a lot of my problems are related to tissues and I guess i cant be the only one. I listende to OFGs advice to keep hydrated and found that also really helps and upping the tablets for a few days wont hurt either. 

• Posted

Hi Joan, you're certainly not going backwards. It's all part of the healing process. Listen to your body - if it says "I'm tired!" then rest. You've had major surgery and when you think about what was actually done, the body's going to need a lot of time to recover and heal. It's also very early days for you. I'm at about 17 weeks (I've stopped counting) and even though I was done with the crutches in less than 2 weeks and am almost back to normal (make that a slow normal), I still get very tired very easily. OFG is right, as usual, so heed his advice.

It's great that you're driving a little and sleeping better, so hang onto those positive aspects and be kind to yourself.

Denise from Oz

• Posted

Hi Joan, I think it is perfectly normal to feel tired, well I do anyway! Just sitting in the garden exhausts me and I do nothing just sit! Maybe the driving is tiring you, I think we use more effort than we realise just doing small tasks. Im in bed by 9 every night, mind you Im usuually up at least twice in the night cause I cant get comfy in bed! Take care and be kind to yourself, enjoy the rest x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.