going cold turkey from tramadol

Posted , 5 users are following.

i had l5 s1 surgery 3 months ago now. i was put on co-codimol and tramadol. i decided on sunday night that i would take my last tablet and not take anymore. didnt think it was going to be as hard as its turned out. its now wednesday morning, approx 60 hours from last meds. vomitting, headache, shivers, cant settle, cant sleep and in pretty low mood. went up to see my doctor this morning and he said just to ride it out. he reckons im over the worst of it now. he give me something to settle stomach and bowel. i just want to be able to sleep. the doctor said he could give me diazepalm but i refused on the basis its just replacing one addiction for another. 

anyone else went through this??

thanks

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

All i can say is it takes five to six days before those horrible withdrawal symtoms start to lift. Most people will probably disagree with me but by going cold turkey you are doing the best thing, I know it is pure hell but after a week you will have broken your phisical addcition. If you tapper down in my experiance you will have many minnie withdrawals as you reduce and when you jump off the last 50mg you will still suffer a withdrawal and tapering can take weeks or months. I read somewhere it is because of the half life of Tramadol that makes it hard to taper off. It's all about resolve and how much you want it. I found the low mood and depressive thought worst than any pysical symtomes but you have to ride it out. If you cant hack cold turkey you will have to try and taper its one or the other anyway. 
  • Posted

Same symptoms as me but I was only on for 3 weeks.  Took me a week to get back to normal.  Got very drunk on day 7 Tramadol free and slept from 9:30 till 7am and been fine since.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.