Going Down From 30mg to 25mg?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, needing advice.

I’ve been on 30mg of Citalopram for about 3.5 months.  The last few weeks I’ve been feeling like I’ve been getting worse.  Lots of bad intrusive thoughts and worsening OCD.

I’m hoping to get in to see a Psychiatrist soon (within a week hopefully).  I’m wondering in the meantime if I should try and reduce my dosage from 30mg to 25mg?

I asked my doctor but she’s not in the office this week.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, with regards to reducing your meds, if you decide to I would recommend dropping by 2.5mg first rather than 5mg.

I do not get intrusive thoughts on these and have read alot that people do, I cant work out if caused by cita or not, Good luck with this.

• Posted

Hi,

I’m actually going to see a psychiatrist on Tuesday, so I’m just going to wait to do anything different with my meds.

Yeah, I’ve been on Citalopram for 5 years and the intrusive thoughts are new - only change is the increase.  Not sure if that is related.

• Posted

I had alot of problems when I increased to 30mg so many side effects which myself and the doctors and neurologist put down to other problems, when I realised it was the meds making me ill as was being checked for brain bleeds and stroke at the time I immediately dropped to 20mg of cita and alot of my nuero symptoms disappeared some within days. Withdrawal was horrendous. It was fear of dying that made me do it. Even so I wouldnt recommend anyone drop dosages like that. I dropped other meds too.

The fact that your intrusive thoughts are new does not surprise me at all with the 30mg dose. Even so we are all different.

• Posted

Have you had a span of time with good results? I would talk to your doctor first. Maybe you should increase instead of decrease. 
    • Posted

I had a solid time of good results for 5 years on 20mg.  Then my anxiety came back and I increased to 30mg.  That was around 3.5 months and I feel the last month has been worse.

I’d rather switch medications than go up to the full 40mg dose.

• Posted

Since it sounds like your anxiety is coming back, if anything I would increase rather than decrease, after talking with your doctor, of course :-). I don't think a decrease would do any good, and might actually make the anxiety and OCD worse.

?I've read that OCD often needs a rather high dose on SSRIs.

• Posted

Hi,

Unfortunately my doctor is out until Monday and I’m actually going to see a psychiatrist on Tuesday.  I believe I’ll just wait till I see them.

I worry about increasing because I didn’t have OCD/intrusive thoughts when the anxiety came back a few months ago.  OCD has gotten worse in the past few months.

I have heard however that OCD has to be treated at a higher dose.

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your responses.  

I appreciate it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.