Going down stairs . . when could you do it???

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm wondering when i should be able to go down stairs properly, not one at a time.  I can manage up stairs provided there is a handrail, although I still do it pretty slowly and with a lot of concentration, but there is just no way I can contemplate going down.  I think I need a better bend (I'm only at about 90, six weeks tomorrow :-( )  I know we are all different, and progress varies enormously, but it would be interesting to hear other people's experience of this particular milestone.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was about 10 weeks when I could walk downstairs properly. Now at 15 weeks I do not even have to think about it. Work your quadriceps a lot and the stairs will be easier. I just started taking the pool ladder foot over foot a few days ago. I was surprised and very happy when I did it without thinking and it was fine.

Everyone is at their own speed. By the way my bend was 90 when I could first do stairs but now at 100 degrees it is easy.

• Posted

Right . .my bend is about 90 so I should be able  to do it!  Have to keep practising. . . . . .Starting at a hydrotherapy centre on Monday . . . perhaps that will help!
    • Posted

I start hydrotherapy which I have to pay for myself privately on Monday in the hope that if will increase my bend... So I hooe it Erie otherwise I will waste £300!!!
    • Posted

that's expensive!  I've joined a local sports centre which has a special hydrotherapy pool . .you can use it whenever you like, and there are specific classes three times a week for TKR  . . 23 euros a month and only another 7 euros a month  for the classes which are optional.  I thought that was so cheap!  I went to see it this morning, but haven't actually tried it out yet!

• Posted

I suppose it depends on where you live.   We have nothing like that where I live: hence me having to pay for it.
    • Posted

Including nice warm weather..... Downside, cockroaches....hate them...lol
  • Posted

It took me some time, but I worked out that if you point your foot outwards (ie in the 10 to 2 position) it's much easier.
    • Posted

thanks for the tip!  I'm going to try that next time i attempt the stairs!
  • Posted

I'm doing stairs, both up and down, but still holding onto the banister, having already thrown myself down the stairs just over a month ago when I forgot I had had knee surgery! Amazing the difference a week can make.  About eight days ago despite super bends etc, the centre of my knee felt as though it was being drilled when I attempted stairs, now it is stiff, but not hurting at all.  I still have some mental block about doing it, but I am on my way and will keep practising!!

• Posted

That must have been horrible!  a friend of mind fell down some cement steps the same day I had the operation . .result, a hip replacement and six broken ribs!!!  Hope you were luckier than that!

• Posted

It was certainly scary, I was rushing to answer the door before the delivery man took off. Completely forgot the silly leg, tried to go down normally and on the second step with an awful pain it gave way and I took off head first.  Landed in the hall way flat on my back, by the front door .... and yes, he had gone despite my speedy arrival at the door!rolleyes 

Once I realised nothing was too damaged I realised I couldn't get up, and had to drag myself around to the bannister and heave myself up from there. Amazed I didn't break something or dmage my knee, but apart from being very shaken up for a few days I didn't even have any spectacular bruises!  I think that is why I have not been keen to try stairs properly again until now!

• Posted

Well, you were unlucky to have that happen . .but on the other hand, VERY lucky not to have damaged yourself.  I can imagine that you are very careful around stairs now!  fortunately, in our house we only have a few steps up to the front door which I practise on . no handrail unfortunately . . and the rest of the house is all on one level.  Unfortuantely, though, we live on a VERY steep hill, so it's impossible to walk anywhere at the moment. . just round and round and round the outside of the house! Boring  . . . . .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.