Going Dry

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been drinking heavily for 20 years. It got to the stage of half a bottle of vodka a night as a sort of staple, sometimes more, never less. My life imploded a bit recently and so I have to stop. Ok, is very early days but after 48 hours I have no symptoms to speak of apart from lack of sleep, a touch of diarrhea and feeling a bit lethargic. No shakes or anything. Do I have these joys to look forward to, or after 48 hours should they have started if they are going to? Any advice/help would be appreciated.

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

That does not sound typical of detox reactions of 20 yrs of alcoholoc behavior.. I recommend that u read online the stages that follow.. Especially going into rehab residential .. Most places will enable u to go to work and test u coming and going. 

Stay in rehab fight for UR life. 

Good Luck

• Posted

You are very very lucky I have had them all shakes, DT's, sweats, wretching etc mind you dont really eat when I am drinking heavily so maybe your just in better physical shape.
    • Posted

So sorry u had to endure the withdrawl . My son is a alcoholic and it is so unbearable to watch him go tru that. There r meds that help with withdrawl. It's necessary in many cases as some could die fro withdrawl.

r u trying to stop drinking or have u found sobriety ?

• Posted

Thanks Hope,

I am sober at the moment but have been many many times before so I am pretty scared as is everyone I have made these promises too before

• Posted

Steve don't hesitate to get help this is UR life and addiction is so powerful in the brain calling for the cravings that meds can help lesson those cravings bring a higher success rate for sobriety. biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.