Going for Colonoscopy next week very scared

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Guys, Im a newbie here and wondered whether anyone could help put my mind at rest.  Jan 2nd it started with blood on toilet paper, bright red.  Then had wind badly, followed by mucus in stools and blood on stools (not in) again bright red.  Also noticed bad smelling mucus which i guess is pus of some sort.  Feeling urge to go probably 5 or 6 times a day but only actually passing wind mucus mostly.  Going to poo 2 x a day once in morning and once at night. Its still happening, went to Colorectal Surgeon who said too inflamed to see anything so colonoscopy was booked.  Am scared it might be cancer - everyone else says proctitis or colitis ?? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like it could be Hemroids . Did I spell that right?
    • Posted

Hiya bernie45181, no i dont think it is spelt right ha ha but am not sure how to spell it myself so will call them piles :-).  Anyway, yes i do have internal piles but all this has been happening for 30 days now - and with the slight change in bowel habit and the fact that i am 53 i think it might be a little more serious - though have no idea what.  Just hoping its not the worst thing.  However, i do hope you are right and that is all it is.  Thanks for replying biggrin
  • Posted

Hi this sounds like diverticular which I was disagnosed with due to the same symptoms as you.  I had a colonoscopy, apart from the preparation side of things which is a pain, nothing to worry about honestly. (Had endoscopy last week again nothing to worry about).  GP said if blood is bright red it is coming from lower down and usually a tear from straining or internal piles, which I have along with the mucous and foul smell.  The time to worry is dark black looking blood that come from higher up. Not sure how old you are but hospital told me that most people from 50 onwards have got some sort of diverticular so could be that as they can sometimes bleed  The mucous is an infection for which I take probiotics and my GP said can be caused by too much medication for pain etc.  Hope all goes well.
    • Posted

Sorry Karen did not read previous post before steaming ahead.  You are the right age for diverticular, I am 56 and female.  I bled for weeks on and off before being diagnosed but the fact that it was bright red meant my GP was not worried and yes I too went a lot and had bowel changes. All it does is turn you into a poo watcher, I am always staring down the pan LOL.
  • Posted

Hey there is nothing to worry about colonoscopy, you will even not understand when it happens.
  • Posted

Hi Karen,

My son at 24 had something similar--blood when pooping. I took him to gastroenterologist and diagnosed colitis. It seems to have gone away by itself. However, my son did completely change his diet. I did not tell him too, he did this on his own. He got a juicer and started making all sorts of healthy juices:  broccoli, parsley, watermelon, melon juices of all kinds. He eats little meat and lite fish, and no greasy or fatty food. By the way, colonoscopy is a piece of cake: the only distateful part is the night before when you drink the magnesium citrate, or whatever they give you go poop for most of the night. They have to clean you out to do the colonoscopy. But it won't hurt and you'll be glad you did it! I had one five years ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.